• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Shot in the dark here

I'm looking for a very specific sized ATO reservoir. This would likely be something someone would have had to buy custom or build themselves.

this ****ty drawing is the space I have available to work with. Left to right I don't have much wiggle room. Too to bottom and front to back I have some room.

this comes out to about 8.5 gallons. My current reservoir is 5 and I rip through that in about three days.

I found this charcoal caddy and it was close but the top is too wide. I may cut it down when I get back to the shop Monday. If anyone has a weird ATO container or has an idea for a diy one. Let me know.

mark from melevs reef quoted me a decent price but I haven't pulled the trigger

Attachments

• 3849E378-B6F3-4A81-AE25-E36C4EFFE1F6.png
    3849E378-B6F3-4A81-AE25-E36C4EFFE1F6.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 22
  • 051256A6-4983-41BE-914E-6FD6915BB457.png
    051256A6-4983-41BE-914E-6FD6915BB457.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 21
You and I have a similar problem. Have you looked into advanced acrylics? They have narrow and tall versions.

You and I have a similar problem. Have you looked into advanced acrylics? They have narrow and tall versions.
Yeah saw this. Expensive. Mark quoted me $135 for the exact dimensions I need. Pretty fair price. Advance acrylic wants $240 for something similar.

something just feels wrong about spending a lot of money on a container that no one is gonna see except me. I don't need beveled edges and smoked windows. I like mark. He builds a lot of nice stuff, that's gonna be my plan b.

I'm just seeing if anyone has anything weird laying around. (Or like me is constantly scoping out containers at target, Home Depot, tractor supply ect ect.) there has to be some sort of market for non reefing related space saving containers that I don't know about. Think RVs, people living in sprinter vans ect.

I may be reaching out to mark myself then. I’ve been looking for this container for a few weeks myself. Not a lot of luck
Dude if you have an extra couple inches left to right, buy that charcoal container and plumb in a couple 90s and soft tubing top to bottom as a level indicator.

I have a good 11 inches to the right of my sump, problem comes down to I only have 7 inches on the diagonal at the opening so going to be a super tight fit getting anything in. I am definitely looking at the charcoal caddy. May run to home depot and see how flexible the sides are as I am going to need to squish it to get inside.

I have a good 11 inches to the right of my sump, problem comes down to I only have 7 inches on the diagonal at the opening so going to be a super tight fit getting anything in. I am definitely looking at the charcoal caddy. May run to home depot and see how flexible the sides are as I am going to need to squish it to get inside.
It's an option. I've been hunting a container with these dimensions for over a year. This charcoal caddy is the closest I've gotten

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
so you need something 6 inches wide 18 inches high 17 inches long i take it? how about the top need it covered or can it be open

let me look tonight what i have in material wise at home i can definitely make you one i got all the glues and stuff would be clear aswell i dont have any more tinted plexi
i could prob make something like for 80ish or frags trades or fish trades
Im interested. Thanks

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
If its going under cover and you dont care about looks go to home Depot or Lowes and look at the blue or black kitchen recycling bins, then cut it down to fit under your cabinet.
Get one of the $20 thick sided ones, they retain their shape when filled. The thinner 'smooth sided' ones buckle outward when filled.
May not work as I don't know how wide the base is, but it may work :)

Whenever I need something funky sized to go under a cabinet I find myself wandering Home Goods (or Marshalls/TJ MAxx) as they usually have lots of oddly sized vases, containers, etc...

Last edited:
If its going under cover and you dont care about looks go to home Depot or Lowes and look at the blue or black kitchen recycling bins, then cut it down to fit under your cabinet.
Get one of the $20 thick sided ones, they retain their shape when filled. The thinner 'smooth sided' ones buckle outward when filled.

Edit: Scratch that, these are a bit too wide.

Whenever I need something funky sized to go under a cabinet I find myself wandering Home Goods (or Marshalls/TJ MAxx) as they usually have lots of oddly sized vases, containers, etc...
Good option. That was the exact issue I had with the charcoal caddy. Once the top was cut off and the container was filled it bowed.

I've literally been walking in and out of home goods, Depot, target ect with a measuring tape for a year. Now that I plumbed in a frag tank I think I'm out of time. Gotta just anty up and buy a bigger proper ATO container.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
i have a 5 gallon white acrylic ATO that was custom made that im looking to sell. reason because i got another one but 20g. message me for info.