• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Should I get Ricordeas in my new tank

I just set up my first tank, a 20G nano that is in its second week of cycling. My salinity,temp, pH are OK, but ammonia is around 0.5ppm and nitrates are around 10 (mg/L?). I do not have a power head and have 2 35watt CFL spiral bulbls. I have a cluster of red mushrooms on my live rock, which seems to be doing OK.

Here is a picassa link to my tank pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/bhattacharya.sayan/Aquarium1Week#

There is a group buy on ricordeas which would arrive sometime around mid march. Would you advise that I get them?

how would you advise I start stocking the tank ? I was of the thinking of starting with hardy shrooms, polyps, soft corals etc .

Could you provide a sketchy time line.. of how to go about stocking/upgrading ?

viz.Improve lighting, water flow now. Buy a kit to test alakalinity .. start stocking with 'X' a week after params are good .. something to that effect ?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thats a good start.
You can also add some Bio-Spira to bypass your cycle. You can then add things the same day.

Don't go to fast. Read some...talk to long term reefers like Mike...I think you will be happier if you take your time and decide for yourself what you want first then make a plan to set up you tank.

Like REEFLECTIONS said learn how to keep things stable first then start adding stuff. Good bio filter will help...Mike's suggestion of Bio-Speria will speed that up.

Guys,

Is it OK to use Instant ocean Bio-spira ? If not could you direct me to an online seller or LFS that sells the original stuff ?

JRWOHLER,

You had suggested T5 lights before. I think I could fit two of those lamps in my hood. Do you think it is OK for a 20 gallon? Also, do you think it might get too hot?

Most of the T5 fixtures sit on top of the tank or if you get what they call a retrofit you build a canopy for them. I did the third alternative which is to hang them from the ceiling. I wanted that particular look.
I did have a 55G freshwater tank that I put a duel T5 fixture on top of the hood...then replaced later with glass covers. That didn't answer your question I know. What I am getting at is the typical hood that you have gets replaced with a cool looking T5 fixture ;D. Good thing about T5 is that they are don't produce the heat that a CP light or MH puts off. Or of course if you are handy you could build a VHO canopy with a retro kit.
I have T5 lights from Catalina Aquariums...if you check out ebay they list there too. www.catalinaaquarium.com
also check out here
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Lighting
That page is lightingfordummies and then you can look at the fixtures for sale by type. A few months away but we do group buys from them 15% off and no shipping.

Keep asking glad to help.