• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Should I sell or should I keep?

kevin

NJRC Member
I pretty much know the answer everyone is going to give me already.
Short back story: Me & wife live with my mother to save for a house. We found a house we really like. We are going to try to buy it. I'm in East Brunswick & the house is in Levittown, PA. I'm thinking of selling it all because the responsibility of a new house. My wife does not want me to sell it. I also want to sell it to help pay for a down payment. I'm torn.

That is a tough decision.

On the one hand, moving a tank isn't that hard, especially a smaller one. Moves of several minutes of travel time or several hours can go equally well with proper planning. If you sell the tank, the difference that will make in funds is likely small.

On the other hand, even though moving a tank isn't that hard, it is a pain in the neck, and the costs associated with maintaining a tank might be a worry you don't want to have right now.

Talk to your wife, and go with your gut. And take everything I say with a grain of salt- the only person who knows the right decision for you is you. If you do decide you need to get out, we will all be here waiting to help you when you are ready to get back in.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This is a difficult decision that obviously needs to be made by you.

Realize that you’ll be lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar for your setup. It’s not going to pay for much!

The big advantage over others that have moved is that you won’t have to take the tank the same day you move all the other stuff. Since it’s at the in-laws, I’m assuming you could do this move in your leisure. It will make a tank move so much easier and less stressful. You can get the new house all ready for the move.

kevin

NJRC Member
Thanks everyone whose posted so far! I agree the move wouldn't be as bad because the tank can stay here as long as I want. I already moved the 50g here & then upgraded to the 75g. I think I'm pretty good at this now, lol. I know I will make back basically nothing of what I put into it. Tomorrow I believe we are going to put an offer in for the house. We will go from there. I just wanted to post this just so I can get everyone's feedback. I love my children.. I would hate to give them up.I just want to make sure I'm making the right move. It's funny because my wife is the one that told me to keep it.

kevin

NJRC Member
That new house will look fantastic with a beautiful reef tank and a couple folding beach chairs.

lol, we are basically going into the house with the clothes on our back & nothing else. We will be filling the place as time goes by. Tank could nicely pass the time

LOL, been there, done that, have the beach chairs if you would like to borrow them.
Our living room still doesn't have a stick of furniture in it. . . but boy did the 45g cube make it feel like home when we moved in ;)

Hey Kevin,
I'm going through the same thing my problem was I have to be out of my place at a set time moving into a house is a big deal and the last thing I wanted to do is worry about a tank, water changes, and the maintenance but you have time on your side lucky you please keep. I lost so much money and some pieces that I really liked. lucky for me I found someone to hold some of my favorite stuff

I say keep it.. You know if you sell it you will loose tons of cash spent. And only end up buying another tank down the line and having to spend all the cash over again.. If anything maybe sell the livestock but keep all the equipment and restock after you are settled... I am sure a bunch of us could hold stuff till your ready to set back up...

I say keep it.. You know if you sell it you will loose tons of cash spent. And only end up buying another tank down the line and having to spend all the cash over again.. If anything maybe sell the livestock but keep all the equipment and restock after you are settled... I am sure a bunch of us could hold stuff till your ready to set back up...
I Totally agree

I understand the instinct to keep it but realize the stress involved with a new house, not to mention the costs. If moving won't cost much and your monthly maintenance is low, then keeping it might make sense. If that extra money will help cover painting, utilities, window coverings etc, then selling it will allow you to make the house less stressful. Once you are settled in plan for that tank upgrade you always wanted.

kevin

NJRC Member
Thanks for the replies everyone! Well, I spoke too soon. We found the house we really liked, but the wife got nervous & we backed out. She wants to save for a few more years before we take the plunge. Tank is safe for now!