• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Silicate test kit?

Can anyone recomend a silicate test kit that is at least semi-accurate?

I cannot beat this algae problem completely, and it's bugging the crap outa me. I don't mind a little, but it's just getting annoying. I cut it down significantly with the flow change I did after MACNA, but recently, I've just seen the algae migrate to a new spot in the tank. I think it is actually snickering at me at this point.

I've eliminated just about every other cause I can think of, and now I'm starting to lean towards the potential of silicates. It would most likely be coming from either my water (I use RO/DI, and get 0-1 tds after DI from a typhoon III unit, but from what I'm reading, ro/di will not eliminate silicates completely and I have REALLY terrible well water as I live near the bay and wetlands convergance, and the water table is rediculously high here and pollutes the well water) or my salt.

I'm using reef crystals, and have been for years, but have been reading recently about the potential for silicate spikes coming from salts, particularly reef crystals.

Just some tank background info:

Lights are only on about 8 hours total, I over skim, I'm running carbon, doing 25% water changes weekly, salinity is 1.026, ph remains relatively close to 8.2, alk, calc, mag are all within acceptable limits, I cut feedings down to half of what I was feeding every other day as opposed to every day, and my RO/DI unit is testing at 0-1TDS after DI. Phosphates are undetectable, nitrate is under 10, no trite, ammonia etc, and all corals and fish seem vibrant, healthy, and growing. I'm running a sump with chaeto that I keep pruned regularly. Temp rides right around 80 degrees F. Oh, and I do not dose anything.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Can you describe the algae problem that you're having, Matt? Have you researched the common algae types to see which on it most resembles?

It's this: And it hates me! I'm convinced it's personal...

DSC05321.jpg

DSC05322.jpg

DSC05323.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bryopsis has ... hairs coming off of each hair, so to speak. It doesn't look like that in the picture. Does it look like that in person? Do you have a million snails? I love a million snails and fresh bulbs to fix that sort of thing!

Currently the tank is running on LED tubes. All are less than 3 months old. But the algae problem has not changed from moving from Metal Halides to the LED tubes, it has remained a constant issue throughout the light change.

I have a moderate snail population. Probably could use more.

What would you recomend in a 90? I haven't found any particular snail that seems to make a dent in this stuff yet.

Right now I've got about a dozen or so turbo's, some astrea, a few nassarius for the sand, and theres a small fighting conch that surfaces now and again. Theres a lettuce nudi in there somewhere, or at least there was as of 2 days ago, it tends to vanish and reappear regularly. A few hermits, and an emerald crab that has taken more to waiting for food than doing his job. He's fat and lazy.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm thinking a cuke an 50-75 turbos. Maybe a brittle star. I'm big on a good turbo population. They may not really dig the algae but when there are 100 of them in there they have nothing better to do and will mow it down like nobody's business!

Forgot to mention the stars. Have a ton of tiny mini brittles, 2 GINORMOUS brittles, and one small to medium sized serpent star.

Wow, that many turbos? Was always hesitant to overpopulate with them. Hated the idea of them starving to death, but I guess with this much algae, won't be a problem in this tank.

I'll kick the snail population up and see what happens.

Thanks Phyl.

Yeah definitely get more snails. I'd have at least 50 turbos in a 75. Assuming you have a decent amount of rock. You can try a sea hare, they really do mow down hair algae

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey matt... Phosphates tests can give a fulse 0 or low ppm reading due to the fact that the algae can consume Phosphates as fast as it's produced.. I had a bryopsis algae prob a few weeks a go with a 0 ppm Phosphate test I did a 3 day lights out {weakens it).. Added a bag of phos zorb (Removes phos and silicate} to my HOB filter and started vodka dosing (Organic Carbon).... The bryopsis was gone in 10 days.. I find starving it worked for me and a lot cheaper... something to think about! Some info about vodka dosing http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php P.S My guy in LBI might have two pre drilled 20 gl tanks that you was looking for..I'll give you a call after the Holiday If Andy dosn't get back to you

Sid