• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

silicone baffles in?

so i picked up a zeovit reactor and a ATI BM 250 and i need to rearrange the baffles in my sump. I didnt really want to pick up another tank for the sump for 2 reasons. Im not 100% sure if i can get the current 33long (4ft) tank out of the stand and that im real busy at work lately and cant make it over and pick one up. so do you think it would be ok to drain out the sump, rip out the old baffles, and place the new ones in? im afraid that it may take a while for the silicone (a day or 2 dont remember how long it took last time) to dry would the tank be ok without any skimming?

I basically had to do the same thing . I assuming its a glass sump . I had a hell of a time removing the old baffles and ended up breaking them and removing them in pieces a real pita . I used some flex hose and rubbermade to set up a temp fuge to let the silicone dry and not be rushed .It will take at least 2 days for the silicone to dry and this way you can take your time and do it right . I have seen your tank and would not risk not skimming it,too much really nice stuff in there .

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jabis, not knowing what system you have, I’ll make some assumptions. A tank with live rock and reduced feeding (stop or reducing the feeding of fish), can go quite some time without the sump. If this is the case, do your thing…reset the baffles…and get-r-done!

the tank is a 180 with a 33 long sump about 150 lbs of LR 5 hutchinsons anthias, 4 pj cardinals, purple tang, one battle hardened chromis, and a clown fish, a bangaii cardinal and misc inverts. Tank is sps dominated some zoos palys and LPS.