• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Since No one else is I will

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I posted a thread earlier today wondering why didn't have a small tank section I guess nobody's interested in using it so I will Someone has to.
I started this 20 gallon tank for my son about two years ago And now finally it's starting to really look pretty good.
I'm trying to keep the tank fairly simple with soft corals Mushrooms and zoos I'm really trying to have my son take care of the tank himself feed and maintain it.
The tank is running on an old ehim and hang on the back filter no skimmer I was considering putting a sump and small refugium but I would have to drill the tank and if I'm going to do that I'm going to change The tank Maybe to a bio cube.
I like having the small tank But conditions in the tank change so rapidly.
I have a couple of pieces of SPS in the tank that are in there temporarily until my 90 gallon cycles I hope to T5 lighting and water conditions can keep that stuff alive until my tank is done Cycling. Here's some pictures.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Let me know what u think

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
First off, just wanted to say that there are already a LOT of posts in this forum. You weren't seeing any because the default is to only view posts made in the last month.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the thread and look under "Thread Display Options", there is a drop-down box that says Last Month. If you change that to "Beginning" and then click the "Show threads" button on the right... that will reveal the 300+ threads that were here already. ;)

Now that that is out of the way... Nice lil tank you got going there. Everything looks happy and healthy. Not sure what color it's supposed to be, but the SPS doesn't look very "colorful". That's likely due to the lighting (which looks like it's more white than blue in general). As long as you see polyp extension (PE) on it then it should be surviving.

Good luck with it and hope your son enjoys maintaining it. Grooming a future member is something we always encourage.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Sorry didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. If you saw I posted this morning about a small tank section because I did see one. My fault, I had the special interest box closed that's why when I found it and saw no recent posts I posted. not looking to get anyone in a tussle. Which by the feel of your last post I must have.
Remember I am new to this site and really not to computer savvy. Also I use an I pad and not a PC maybe my view is also a bit different..
With that said.....:)
Thanks, everything seems to be doing really good and growing the tri color just came yesterday form Jim in mount laurel and needs to color up hopefully I placed it high enough to get enough light.
Lights are two 10 k 18 w t5 and two actinic 18 w t5

Hey hockynut that's a 40 breeder right? On my old 40 I used a 6 bulb T5 setup to maintain my sps. I used 36" 39w bulbs. 2 on for dawn dusk and 4 for daytime. Running 3 attinic 2 daylight(14k) and 1 Fiji purple.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hey hockynut that's a 40 breeder right? On my old 40 I used a 6 bulb T5 setup to maintain my sps. I used 36" 39w bulbs. 2 on for dawn dusk and 4 for daytime. Running 3 attinic 2 daylight(14k) and 1 Fiji purple.

Nevermind. Just reread it. 20g. Oops.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Some new additions to the 20.
Stopped by to see mark at ultimate corals for his St. Pat's day sale and picked up some green. And a few others

image.jpg

Just actinic

image.jpg

Thanks mark for the new stuff

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Looks like those new additions are settling right in. Alveopora looks like it's already opening up. Find a spot for that red mushroom? Great meeting your son. Tell him he gets a little older I could always use an extra hand fragging up corals :)

Some new additions to the 20.
Stopped by to see mark at ultimate corals for his St. Pat's day sale and picked up some green. And a few others

View attachment 5121

Just actinic

View attachment 5122

Thanks mark for the new stuff

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. If you saw I posted this morning about a small tank section because I did see one. My fault, I had the special interest box closed that's why when I found it and saw no recent posts I posted. not looking to get anyone in a tussle. Which by the feel of your last post I must have.
Remember I am new to this site and really not to computer savvy. Also I use an I pad and not a PC maybe my view is also a bit different..
With that said.....:)
Thanks, everything seems to be doing really good and growing the tri color just came yesterday form Jim in mount laurel and needs to color up hopefully I placed it high enough to get enough light.
Lights are two 10 k 18 w t5 and two actinic 18 w t5

Hey no offense was taken, sorry if I came off that way. I was just trying to explain in detail how to find all the posts that were already here. Yes, I noticed your other post about why we don't have a nano forum (when we did) so I assumed you needed a little help finding the posts you weren't seeing when you finally found the forum.

My post was purely meant to be instructional so you can learn how to find things you're looking for easier.

By the way, great new additions!

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
No problem tanks, I prob jumped to the wrong conclusion sorry, it comes with my job I run a construction company and have lots of guys to baby sit every day and sometimes I get home very frustrated and take it out on the people around me don't take it personally.
Like I have said many times already every one that I have spoke to or met from this club has been great, helpful and friendly. I really enjoy reading posts and getting involved.
Next time I won't be so quick to jump to conclusions again sorry.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Nothing but a pad, I have chemipure in the ehim with two pads and rock rubble. I just hooked up a GFO/carbon reactor tonight cause the phosphate was lingering a little high. I'm really headed to a sump for his tank just for the ease. cleaning and changing these filters is getting old it would be easier with a sump. I'm really amazed that I don't have hair algae all over the place in this tank the phosphate got pretty high for a while now it's a little better but still not where I want it.