• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Site upgrade Announcement Xenforo here we come.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
The officers are excited to announce that will be upgrading the website to Xenforo very soon. We have been testing this software and it looks very nice. We have fully migrated our current vBulletin forum over to our test domain with great success. But as with any software upgrade there will be some issues and a learning curve.

Please use this thread to post questions or concerns.

here is a video that may help answer questions

[video=youtube;pk1qfu4TJN8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk1qfu4TJN8[/video]

Last edited:

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
If this is the same software that reef2reef upgraded to, folks be prepared for a HUGE learning curve. The usual terms that you are used to are not what they call them with this new devilry. I will let Ed confirm if it is the same beast and if it is, I will post some quick navigation details ;)

Why are we doing it to being with?
I like the site the way it is and I really don't like the way R2R site is so I hope your wrong sunny

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I like the site the way it is and I really don't like the way R2R site is so I hope your wrong sunny

I hope I am wrong as well. I hate the new R2R site.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
If this is the same software that reef2reef upgraded to, folks be prepared for a HUGE learning curve. The usual terms that you are used to are not what they call them with this new devilry. I will let Ed confirm if it is the same beast and if it is, I will post some quick navigation details ;)

Yes it the same software as reef2reef. If you watch the movie I posted above it should help with the learning curve. We will also be here to help.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member

The main reason is that Vbulletin has some major security issues. We have had a lot of attempted hacks recently.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
While different once you get the hang of things the xenoforo software is extremely user friendly and if you're like me and browse on your phone a lot the mobile browsing is much better. Change can be hard sometimes but in the end it will be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
While different once you get the hang of things the xenoforo software is extremely user friendly and if you're like me and browse on your phone a lot the mobile browsing is much better. Change can be hard sometimes but in the end it will be worth it.

I would like this post but I can't with Vbulletin. But will be able to with Xenforo

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
What don't you like about R2R? It really is not that different IMO.

Nothing, absolutely nothing. You see it is the same argument like between iphone and android users. I think R2R is way too complicated to navigate - and this is coming from me who is not new to any forum softwares and such. Folks who have little experience and background with computers etc will have a very hard time navigating the site.

Yes, you posted a video, Edward but how many people do you think will really watch it? We get 10 new posts a day, OK maybe 12 if we get lucky. Do you really think folks will watch the video??

I think if we go R2R route, we may not even get the 10 we get today.

I am all in for a change, but is it really worth the 10 posts a day?

Just my $00.2.

When R2R first switch I wasn't a big fan either. I've gotten somewhat used to it by now so it's not to bad.

Biggest annoyance is some of the terms are different. Gone are PM's and coming in are conversations. Pretty much the same thing. The user profile is a PIA for me. But the biggest annoyance by far is the "likes this" stuff. Nothing is more annoying with R2R then when you think someone posted to a thread your following only to find that someone "likes" your post. With me it's mainly not picking is all. But I'm a simple man and with change usually comes less simplicity.

But I guess is there is a security issue then I suppose a change is required.

I would like to ask though in these attempted hacks, what info is at risk? Is this only club info or is the members personal info at risk. Stuff like PayPal and such.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor

Exactly what you said Kev, no not everyone is like you. We have a very broad and mixed community. I do not think there are folks who are familiar with these new sites. We can figure it out but not everyone here spends 10 hours on the phone.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
When R2R first switch I wasn't a big fan either. I've gotten somewhat used to it by now so it's not to bad.

Biggest annoyance is some of the terms are different. Gone are PM's and coming in are conversations. Pretty much the same thing. The user profile is a PIA for me. But the biggest annoyance by far is the "likes this" stuff. Nothing is more annoying with R2R then when you think someone posted to a thread your following only to find that someone "likes" your post. With me it's mainly not picking is all. But I'm a simple man and with change usually comes less simplicity.

But I guess is there is a security issue then I suppose a change is required.

I would like to ask though in these attempted hacks, what info is at risk? Is this only club info or is the members personal info at risk. Stuff like PayPal and such.

Terms are not only different they are confusing. Also post a thread on R2R tonight and try and find it 2 days later. Yeah, it is watched threads but where the F is it? I can get to my threads here in one click. First of all it is a PIA to find the thread on R2R and even if you do, you have to click 4 places.

I agree, what risk are we talking about? I find it hard to believe that vBulletin is not addressing it. Heck RC stlll uses vBulletin and they have much more at stake then we do, not to mention 3000+ posts a day.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Exactly what you said Kev, no not everyone is like you. We have a very broad and mixed community. I do not think there are folks who are familiar with these new sites. We can figure it out but not everyone here spends 10 hours on the phone.

Understandable. Hopefully the switch goes well and we can all adjust. There a few on here that are pretty familiar with some of the features and navigation of the new software who can hopefully help others less familiar. I know I'll try to help where I can.