• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

skimmer for small tank

I am giving up to find the replacement aquabee pump for my small skimmer. I am looking for a skimmer that equivalent to SWC120 with smaller footprint. any recommend ?
what I have in mind right now is SWC 120 Cone Xtreme ( need to redo the plumbing), BM NAC3.5 (Redfishbluefish recommend not because of pump problem) .
No hang on back.
Olivier

falconut

NJRC Member
You could try the SCA line of skimmers. I've had my SCA-302 for a few years and it's been great for my 90. It's a Bubble Magus knockoff, you can get on ebay for under $150. They have the SCA-302 (pump inside), SCA-303 (pump under) and the smaller SCA-301 (pump under). The footprints are small too. They're a good value skimmer. There's a big review on RC about them, it's what sold me on it.

How small of a tank we talking?

30 gallon tank with 15 gallon sump. so total water volume is about 40 gallons give or take 5 gallons. the tank will be heavy stock. I bought the SCA 301 skimmer. I should get the SCA 302. I just completed the vinegar bath and the skimmer is in the sump. I like it so far. nice and quiet is my main key. I will get back in here again next week after the skimmer break in and report it.
regardless, please give your input on skimmer. the more info the better. on the other hand, do you think I should get the SCA 302? the SCA 301 skimmer spec at 65 gallon tank. I am thinking with heavy bioload, it might be good only up to 30 gallon tank.
Olivier

falconut

NJRC Member
I'm guessing should try the SCA-301 since you've got it. If you're looking to get another, I would buy the SCA-302 this time. I've got mine in about 9" of water and it works well at the depth running between 3 - 4.