• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer height

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Just wondering how I know if the water level in my sump is to high for the skimmer. Is htere a chart I can reference?

RTFM??-What a brilliant answer ! More than Half the time the hobbiest know more than the FM-and a working number from someone who owns it will be better . Manufacturers will give as broad a range as possible to generate sales and make it seem more compatible . Most have a nice sweet spot that only experienced owners would of found .

I would suggest you do a search over on RC or post up and get an accurate honest answer . What skimmer are you looking at,also take into consideration overall height you have to work with . You can always raise the skimmer to adjust if you have the height under stand to work with,hope this helps a bit more .

qwik said:
You can always raise the skimmer to adjust if you have the height under stand to work with,hope this helps a bit more .

This is usually the solution, if you have the hieght

I think your gate valve or whatever you have to adjust it helps to determine how high you need the water or don't. I have found that if you have the water too high you just skim way to much water. Obviously if it is too low you just end up with crud in the neck of the skimmer.

MadReefer said:
Just wondering how I know if the water level in my sump is to high for the skimmer. Is htere a chart I can reference?

what brand of skimmer? also checking the manufactors website for FAQ, they usually list the water height for skimmers too.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Currently, I have 2 skimmers. A Berlin Classic and will have to check their website. The other has a label and it says Aquatic Life Systems. It is taller than the Berlin and has a venturi connector. The website is shutdown and get any info their. I did a bit of surfing with minimal results.