• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer help

I've never had a skimmer before. I've been watching videos but I can't find an answer to this. Bubbles come out from the bottom part where the pump goes in. How do I fix it?

I don’t personally know that particular skimmer. However there are a few skimmer “rules”
First off are you certain you have it at the correct water level. Skimmers generally have to sit in the water at a certain height. (This is not the case with a dual pump skimmer) As an example my reef octopus sits in 9 inches of water. And does not like that water height to change.
secondly. You need to adjust the flow going thru the skimmer and this is were I believe your issue is. I can see in the video that bubbles are foaming right out the top of the skimmer you need to dial the skimmer back. I believe your bubble issue down low is simply backup from the incredible.... actually excessive amount of foam being generated. For more detailed help please post the brand type and size of skimmer and system volume.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I believe he is talking about the air unattached to the pump.
I would check the airline is not cracked and no holes as that will release air.
The hose must fit snug in the pump, cannot be loose or stretched out.

I don’t personally know that particular skimmer. However there are a few skimmer “rules”
First off are you certain you have it at the correct water level. Skimmers generally have to sit in the water at a certain height. (This is not the case with a dual pump skimmer) As an example my reef octopus sits in 9 inches of water. And does not like that water height to change.
secondly. You need to adjust the flow going thru the skimmer and this is were I believe your issue is. I can see in the video that bubbles are foaming right out the top of the skimmer you need to dial the skimmer back. I believe your bubble issue down low is simply backup from the incredible.... actually excessive amount of foam being generated. For more detailed help please post the brand type and size of skimmer and system volume.
To me, it looks like the bubbles are coming from where the pump goes into the skimmer part at the bottom. It's a SCA-301. In a 40B with a 20 sump. About 50-55g total water volume.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
this skimmer needs to be in 7'' - 7''.5 of water. have you checked the venturi .Part that connects to pump .make sure all is clean of salt build up. soak in vinegar ..

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Check the venturi on the skimmer and make sure that it's all the way in place. It's possible that it may be loose and forcing air bubble out through the gap. Also whilst you are at it, make sure the venturi isn't cracked. The picture is just for reference

1604853305342.png

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I did to. But it had some salt buried within plug..check out all passages.

So I took a second look and i noticed the air isn't coming from where I originally thought. It's coming through the pipe that you use to make adjustments at the bottom. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20201108_233831.jpg
    20201108_233831.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201108_232659.jpg
    20201108_232659.jpg
    715 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201108_232707.jpg
    20201108_232707.jpg
    703.4 KB · Views: 5

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
If the micro bubbles are going into the return section, try experimenting with placing a piece of aquarium foam at the bottom of the blue pipe