• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer not skimming?

I've had my SRO 1000 INT up and running for two weeks now. It's still not skimming as efficiently as I'd like it to. When I feed my fish it kills the skimmer for hours...Is my skimmer still breaking in? Any suggestions or thoughts?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
What size tank do you have? Also what's the bio-load like (heavy, light, etc)? How long has the tank been up and runny?

55g DT with a 20 long sump filled about 3/4 of the way. Its a decent bioload. Two Ocellaris clowns, two bengaii cardinals, royal gramma, lubbocks fairy wrasse, yellow watchman goby and a yellow tang. I feed two frozen cubes and a square of nori a day. I run an ATS as well. The tank has been up for three and a half years.

I found that my skimmer doesn't always skim either. Only when I do what changes, clean my rocks with a turkey baster, or swap out my filter media. Id like to think with a rather clean tank that it wont always skim simply because there is nothing to skim. When it's not skimming much at all I'll lowerthe cup on my Hydor skimmer so at least that way it's skimming a little wet.

Have you checked the depth of the water it's sitting in (5.5"), and adjusted the gate valve to allow enough water to get up toward the cup? Venturi clear, and getting a lot of bubbles? Is it the internal or SSS?

Have you checked the depth of the water it's sitting in (5.5"), and adjusted the gate valve to allow enough water to get up toward the cup? Venturi clear, and getting a lot of bubbles? Is it the internal or SSS?

It's sits in 5.5" and the gate is adjusted. I'm assuming the venturi is clear since it's only been running a little more than two weeks. It's the INT.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
The skimmer may still be breaking in. Feeding can kill the foam head in a skimmer depending on what you feed. If you're feeding frozen try thawing the cubes and then using a fine net rinse the food. Depending on the brand you will be amazed how much "cleaner" it is once rinsed. Also where do you have the level of the water inside the skimmer set at?

The skimmer may still be breaking in. Feeding can kill the foam head in a skimmer depending on what you feed. If you're feeding frozen try thawing the cubes and then using a fine net rinse the food. Depending on the brand you will be amazed how much "cleaner" it is once rinsed. Also where do you have the level of the water inside the skimmer set at?

I rinsed my food today and it only killed the skimmer for a few minutes compared to a few hours. That was an easy fix!

The water level is probably 1/5 of the way up the cone, if that makes sense.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
You may be running the water level too low in the skimmer. I have the nwb-110 which I believe has the same body design and I run the internal level of the skimmer about an inch below the black part on the neck and it skims great. Maybe try to raise the level a bit and see if it helps

You may be running the water level too low in the skimmer. I have the nwb-110 which I believe has the same body design and I run the internal level of the skimmer about an inch below the black part on the neck and it skims great. Maybe try to raise the level a bit and see if it helps

Will do, thank you.

I would keep closing the gate valve until the water is close to the top of the cone, then start to open it if the foam is spilling over into the cup too quickly.

When I spoke with reef octopus, they told me you want roughly pea size bubbles getting to the bottom of the skimmer cup. I will take a picture of what mine looks like.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Here is a picture of how I have been running my skimmer. I have been running it on the wetter side.

su9eje7e.jpg

This is what I get in a little over a day.

y4ynuby9.jpg

This is what reef octopus says it should look like, at least from what I got out of the phone conversation.

e6ymavyh.jpg

I have the neck extension installed so I can close the waste gate more then most can.

yty3azad.jpg

I have 3 of them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Where did you pick up the neck extensions. I have a SSS 1000 and skimming about the same as you are. I thought it was pretty good based on my low bio load. I'd like to get a few of those extensions though. Thanks.

Here is a picture of how I have been running my skimmer. I have been running it on the wetter side.

The bubbles in my neck are large and popping. I am still getting skimmate but it's wetter than I'd like. If I shut the gate anymore I think I'll overflow the cup...I guess I'll leave it for now and see if it "breaks in" any better?