• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer recommendation

This is for a 120g. Looking for an in-sump skimmer. Sump is only 11" front to back and water level is normally 8.5-10" deep. I need something easy to use, but most importantly, I hate noise. So I want it to be quiet if possible. Was looking at reef octopus but they have so many....

Will spend up to $300 and don't mind going used. Any ideas?

Thanks

I have a bubble magus curve 5 that pulls a super dark skimmate and you can't even hear the thing. Like ever. Marinedepot had them on sale at week or two ago check them out I highly recommend it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
+1 on a curve 5, great skimmer.

SCA 302 is another good option, I run one on my 90g (170g system)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Mine is super quiet.

I got confused, I’m actually running a SCA 302 not a bm 5. My SCA is pretty loud but I can’t comment on the BM.

I edited my earlier post to be correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a bubble Magnus curve 5 on my 50 gallon pulls out some dark nasty stuff, but you hear the air getting sucked into the skimmer is loud but not horrible but you can hear it.

I run a bubble Magnus curve 5 on my 50 gallon pulls out some dark nasty stuff, but you hear the air getting sucked into the skimmer is loud but not horrible but you can hear it.
Did you make sure you're the little aircap is on fully? I don't hear anything especially the air being sucked in. Maybe I just got lucky.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I'm an ASM Skimmer fan. Not the pretiest, not so quiet, but definitely an industry work horse. I have a G1 model that worked flawlessly when I was running my old tank.

There is one for sale on the forum
ASM G3 Skimmer

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
have to agree on BM Curve. Had one in 75g but sold a few years ago. Wish I kept it.

Did you make sure you're the little aircap is on fully? I don't hear anything especially the air being sucked in. Maybe I just got lucky.

It's on there even with the air noise Id still buy the skimmer again no microbubbles at all it's a good skimmer. Whenever I get around to it I'm going to put some Airline tubing on the end of the silencer. That should quiet down a little bit

It's on there even with the air noise Id still buy the skimmer again no microbubbles at all it's a good skimmer. Whenever I get around to it I'm going to put some Airline tubing on the end of the silencer. That should quiet down a little bit
I have no complaints about mine whatsoever. It's in 6.5" of water with a DIY automatic top off and it works great.