• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer search

What size tank/stocking ?

I'm running on a XP 1000SSS on my 75g w/ 75g sump and only thing in it is rock and sand, it is already pulling some nice brown sludge!

My suggestion is spend an extra 50-100 bucks and get a good quality skimmer so you don't drive yourself crazy with repairs/problems/junk. Catalina is a decent company, I have my lights from them, but don't know about the skimmer. They do have good customer service. I would suggest one of the cones that everyone has good luck with.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I cannot locate any reviews of this on-line. I should have mentioned I can get this for $125 brand new including shipping.
On many skimmers I ma limited on space height max I can squeeze in is 22" which is cutting it close.

But I will keep searching.

Thanks

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I ma running an Aquamedic multi 1000 Torboflotor. It is suppose to be HOB but AquaMedic said can be used in sump. Its a 75g DT with 30g sump, 4 fish and corals. I plan to upgrade to a 120g so ant the purchase to last.

That skimmer appears to be a coralife super skimmer rip off. I would stay away, as the original verison doesnt work well, so i cant imagine that being much better.

For that size you can pretty much get anything. SWC or Reef octopus are great, and not too expensive. If you spend 125$ on that skimmer, your going to spend much more than that when you replace it in a few months when it doesnt work.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The first one was a little to tall. The second one would fit better.

I have been reading that the Vertex skimmers are good also and little cheaper.

I'd go with an octo too or if ya wanna go a bit cheaper without sacrificing performance maybe go with an asm or euro reef...plenty of used ones floating around.

I'm running a BM NAC7 on my 120 and it seems to do a pretty good job. I got it on sale a few months ago fornabout $200. It might be obvious but don't forget to look at how much water the skimmer needs to be run in and what your water level in your sump is.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mark

I'm running the SWC 180 on my 70, 30 sump and I love it. I had a reef Octopus before this and it didn't compare. I highly recommend it. I bought it from Olivier and he still moans about selling it.

Bob

I used to run a asm g3 (gonna put it up for sale soon) and picked up a used swc180 recently and it's doing well. It over flow a few days ago for like 3 or 4 days and i had to make a few mod to the air silencer. I think its due to me putting some epoxy in the tank that got wet while i was mixing it. I had olivier help me look for a new skimmer for a few weeks ago and he was a big help. Hopefully he chime in. Gl in your quest.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The SWC 180 might be a bit to tight in the cabinet. This really is my problem with getting a new skimmer that I can use an upgrade.
I am aware of the sump water level. The area the skimmer will go in is about 9" of water.
I may have to forgo the upgrade and just get a good skimmer and be happy with the 75g for a few more years.
I will keep searching and thanks for the help.

Edit: The SWC 160 might a better option.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Max height is 24". I need an inch or two to remove the cup. Right now with the skimmer I have I take off the cup and pump. Lay the skimmer horizontal above the 30g sump, connect the pump and stand it up vertical. Then I add the cup. The sump is stock 30g tank with baffles.

Are ETSS skimmers any good?