• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer search

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not sure if the Picture is just old and hasn't been updated, but this is the "new" version: Reef Octo.

New version has a gate valve for fine tuning and a air silencer on the intake tube. Unfortunately they now make you buy the down spout for the output separate.

I have the 4" model on my 65G, and this skimmer pulls out some junk, it is reliable and I haven't had to touch the valve to adjust it since I set it up back in November.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Brian,
I did see that one but max tank size is 100g. So I looked at the next size up. I will have to research more to ensure its not a old style. Thanks
Anyone else like to clue me in?

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea I tried to link it to the 6" version but it defaults back to the 4" version. If you select the "size" the 6" is up to 150 gallons and is $199.99 with free shipping from M-D.com.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I also have a Reef Octo. XS-160 and that thing is a BEAST of a skimmer! I'm really happy with both my Reef Octo. skimmers.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You should call That Fish Place and ask them. Also 22.13" is OK? I know you said the max was 22"

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Yes, that height is okay. Total height is 24" so this gives 2 inches to remove the cup. I checked their website and din't locate it.

The collection cup on mine has about a 2-3 inch rim that you have to lift it off so be careful how it is setup.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
James, What is the difference when you left the cup out of the skimmer? Normally that is only about an inch.

Mine is a custom made job so I want to say it is a good 3 inches...on the other side the skimmer is only about 18 inches tall and 10 inch wide body + pump hangs off side as it is recirculating.