• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So as I wait for my ICP test kit to come I been thinking of different things to try and get my tank back on track. I know many people love algae scubber and/or fug but I don't care for them. I tried setting up a fug and it didn't pan out well. I was thinking I might look into getting a skimmer that will fit in my HOB fuge (which is more or less a 'sump'. I seen some nice ones out there but before I look into purchasing one I was wondering thoughts from folks plus to see if anyone here has one.

My tank is a 36g with about a 5gal hob fuge. I was looking at:
  • Tunze USA 9004.00 Doc
  • Aquatic Life 115 Mini Internal skiimer
  • Hydor USA slimskim internal skimmer
Now I been liking the look and the information on the Tunze but still open to suggestions. Also its not required to be in the hob but I would like it there.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Get some chemipure and throw it in your HOB fuge. You do not need a skimmer. I have been running my 75 gallon for 18 months now with 2 HOB Aquaclear 110 filters and chemipure. Everything is very happy in there.

With the 40G size skimmer is an overkill IMHO.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
don't know if the Reef Octopus classic 90 hob is too big for what you are looking for. I had it on my 90 gallon and now it is on my 60g. It does a great job

DangerDave

NJRC Member
You do not need a skimmer, but I think a skimmer is an easy option for nutrient removal. I ran a algae scrubber for 10 or so years and it worked great. A skimmer gave me the same result on this build, but there is a lot less maintenance in my opinion. There are a ton of options for you...

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I do know I don't need a skimmer. Thanks for the other options guys. I will keep those in mind. First and foremost I need to get my ICP and see what that comes back as.

I had a Aquatic Life 115 Mini Internal skimmer and it worked good did the air line mod. But I'm with sunny a skimmer not going to do much for you. A water change will probably remove more nutrients than the small skimmer will. What are your nitrates and phosphates.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I had a Aquatic Life 115 Mini Internal skimmer and it worked good did the air line mod. But I'm with sunny a skimmer not going to do much for you. A water change will probably remove more nutrients than the small skimmer will. What are your nitrates and phosphates.

I have not tested for phosphate but im sure its high (just have not gotten the test for it yet). last time I check nitrates they were about 20ppm.

20 ppm nitrates is fine your phosphates might be high that might explain why you're having problems with some of your coral. I would try some phosguard in a bag in your hob fuge, it doesn't need to tumble like gfo does. If your phosphates come out high on your icp test.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
20 ppm nitrates is fine your phosphates might be high
That is what I am thinking as well.

I would pick up a phosphate test kit its a must have.
I know I keep meaning to pick one up but keep over looking it. If the ICP test isn't way off (like to the point where I am just to break the tank down) I am going to pick one up

The reason I was thinking more skimmer over phosguard or chemipure is its a one time purchase where those might need to keep purchasing. Also I ran a skimmer, carbon, and gfo, on my 54 and those three things help keep that tank in line. Again not ruling out going chemipure or algae scrubber

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I have a Ghost desktop, which I don't think is doing much at all, probably going to just remove it.

I'm doing a mini reactor from IM, carbon and phosban which I'm unsure of but seems to be doing well enough at water scrubbing. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FCEV5F...t=&hvlocphy=9003976&hvtargid=pla-354598210005.

And I'm doing a hang on fuge, Finnex with Fugeray. I gave up on a large reactor for the ability of this thing to grow cheato and act (modified) as an algae reactor at the same time. I'm scraping algae and removing 50% cheato every 10 days. https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-External-Refugium-Breeder-Hang/dp/B00I8BREP2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1523932846&sr=1-1&keywords=hang+on+fuge+with+led&th=1
This thing is seriously the best thing I've bought for cheato growth and phosphate control in all the time and all the tanks.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I have a Ghost desktop, which I don't think is doing much at all, probably going to just remove it.

I'm doing a mini reactor from IM, carbon and phosban which I'm unsure of but seems to be doing well enough at water scrubbing. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FCEV5F...t=&hvlocphy=9003976&hvtargid=pla-354598210005.

And I'm doing a hang on fuge, Finnex with Fugeray. I gave up on a large reactor for the ability of this thing to grow cheato and act (modified) as an algae reactor at the same time. I'm scraping algae and removing 50% cheato every 10 days. https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-External-Refugium-Breeder-Hang/dp/B00I8BREP2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1523932846&sr=1-1&keywords=hang+on+fuge+with+led&th=1
This thing is seriously the best thing I've bought for cheato growth and phosphate control in all the time and all the tanks.

Thanks for the input @Mark_C another thing to think about

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I've used an HOB AquaC Remora Pro skimmer on a 40b with lots of success. Uses an older direct spray injection method to create micro-bubbles and louder than more modern skimmers but IMO performs better than most of the modern HOB.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I used the aqua c remora as well on multiple nanos and loved them. Never had a problem with overflowing. I would look into it.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have a remora laying around you can play with.

It needs a pump