• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmers for a JBJ 28G

Hi, I am posting to see What I would need to do to run a Skimmer in back of the JBj 28G. The catch is that I would like to keep the stock media basket. I know if can be done. I just see people say that it fit no problem or they had to midify it to get it to work. I just hear some some see what yoru experience has been trying to get a skimmer for this tank. Thanks in advance for any info.

Is the media basket in the 1st or 2nd chamber? If its in the first, then there wont be a problem, I have a sapphire aquatics thats supposed to be in the middle chamber, but I didnt want to move my refugium around. I thought it could go in another chamber, but this one was designed for the middle chamber. If youd like to look at it, or more info PM for details.

The media basket is for the middle chamber. I have seen the saphire skimmer. I did hear it was good, but you would need to remove the media basket for it to work. Thank you for your offer. Just out of curiousty, what type of regium are you using?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If you are going to go with a skimmer in a cube, from everything I have read/experienced go with the saphire. We tried the biocube ones and they are a piece of junk. You will lose space, but they work really well.

I plan on buying a 28 led soon; need to have a stand made first that matches furniture in the room. From everything I have read, the Sapphire skimmer is the best, but only fits in middle chamber. So, I dont think you can run both, but perhaps something can be rigged in one of the side ones. Let me know what you come up with, since I will need to figure something to run carbon and chempure.

Unfortunately, Sapphire is going out of business. So, if you want one, snatch it up fast. I got one off ebay last week, just came in the mail.

Good luck,

MV

71GTO said:
What is nano fissoin?
Current makes it called the Nano Fission. Junk
1139256717.jpg

I have found a few other skimmmers that say they work in 28g nanos. I know the AquaC remora will fit also, but I have heard some people say it fit right in or they needed to mod it a bit to get it to work. he mods don't seem that bad. The Tunze can also fit from what I have read, but you have to a lot to it to get it to fit and you would need to take the cup off to open the lid or buy a special cup. I was looking at this one I linked too, but I don't know if I want to get one with an air pump. Part of the reason I don't like the JBJ one that came with the tank is that air pump is loud.
http://www.globeaqua.com/skimmers_euroreef.html