• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Slip or Thread Bulkheads what works??

Hey again guys;
Just wanted to know...... How do you connect to your tank from your sump with the PVC pipe. Slip Bulkhead, Threaded etc. ???
What has worked better for you.
Please let me know. :)

The problem with most threaded bulkheads is that they arent tapered threads like NPT is supposed to be. So getting a good seal requires a descent amount of pipe dope. The other problem with them is that they are prone to cracking when the pipe attaching to it is tightened too much. I will usually put spare bulkhead nuts over the ends to prevent cracking if I have to use them.

I'm sure both work really well you just have to do the proper job. With Slip you need to glue it really well and with the threaded you should used the teflon tape or you can silicone them (I think i've heard of people doing that).

I have slip on all three of my tanks. No leaks, knock on wood.

stcreef said:
The problem with most threaded bulkheads is that they arent tapered threads like NPT is supposed to be. So getting a good seal requires a descent amount of pipe dope. The other problem with them is that they are prone to cracking when the pipe attaching to it is tightened too much. I will usually put spare bulkhead nuts over the ends to prevent cracking if I have to use them.

What is NPT?? The extra nut is a good idea ;)

MikeNapoli said:
I'm sure both work really well you just have to do the proper job. With Slip you need to glue it really well and with the threaded you should used the teflon tape or you can silicone them (I think i've heard of people doing that).

I have slip on all three of my tanks. No leaks, knock on wood.

The disadvantage is the removing of them if you have to do that down the line isn't it? but then again they are NOT cemented to the tank just the PVC pipe right?

I just found all the connectors I need At Lowes'!!! I was just ready to buy them online. They are about 1/4 of the price.
Ball valves are the best price. under $6 for a 1" wow, I didn't think they would carry anything but the PVC pipe. :D
I'll be making a stop there after I get my layout figured out!! ;D