• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Snowflake Eel disappeared

So last weekend I picked up a 16" long snowflake eel from fellow club member. At the time my biggest issue at the time was I had no lid. I solved that by making a few glass lids. In went the eel.

Two days in a row the eel seemed well acclimated but was not eating
Day three (Tuesday) I went to feed but could not find it.
Wednesday say thing

Last night I tried feeling with lights on and a flashlight and could not find it. Than hours later with lights off and a red filter over the flashlight tried to find it. No luck.

It does not appear to have gotten out if the tank( no carcasse). So my guess is it either made its way into the pumbing.

I have 2 whers. Both empty. In each wher I have a single 1&1/2" drain. And 1 1&1/4" outlet.

The left drain has a ball valve turned half way

The right drain has a ball valve and isopen 100%

The outlet has a check valve and a ball valve open 100%

Objectives before me

1. Discovery
A. Is the eel in a pipe
i. Which one
2. How to remove or coax it out

3. How to prevent it or others from finding their way back down.

Go-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the eel made it into the overflow box, you could use some type of mesh netting to keep it out. What covers on the overflow? Without that it could end up in the overflow again. If it is stuck in the pluming only way to find out is to start taking things apart, which sucks. I don't know if you could coax it out at all. they are pretty dumb and move around based on scent.

I would check the entire room and maybe even beyond. I have heard these guys can get very cool because during low tide they travel between tide pool to pool. Don't have any experience with them so can't help much more, but good luck!

No

I did some extensive searching this morning. Nothing

Best guess now is its in one of the three pipes

See if you can gently push some airline tubing down the overflow pipe and see if it hits him

I used an air tube and opened the left ball valve. No eel

I then checked the left overflow. This using is unrestricted. Air tube went down no problem

I yelled the v off the return. Nothing visible. I turned on and off the pump but didn't revel any thing.

My next step is to cut the return pvc and look in either end. Then re couple.

Kinda bummed.