• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

So we are going to move :(

We are going to move from the house I love come June. I’m retiring and we need lower taxes. Howell is kinda high. I am probably not going to be able to set up my 300 gallon in the new place. It breaks my heart to take it down. I’m considering giving the tank away/ really not sure what I could get for it. Between led lights (with spare lights as back ups and extra led diodes and drivers for repair) and sumps snd pumps and reactors I have to have over 15 grand into it. Now it is in the basement and will be a job to get out. It’s a glass cages low iron 300 gallon peninsula. I don’t know yet what I’ll do. I’ve had it for almost a decade. Open to feedback.

I feel for you, man. I have a 220 in the basement and I cannot fathom how I’d ever get it out of there dry, let alone with all that time and money and water and life and memories invested into it.

300g is a tough size too. Not every household can manage that size and commitment. It might be tough to get someone to take on the entire system at once. Most of the fun of this hobby is building it over time.

I’d probably target a smaller tank that you can manage in the new place, ID whatever gear/life that would be appropriate for the new house setup, and sell off everything else. It sounds like you could make a sizable amount that would hopefully offset all the costs of the new setup. Basically swap out your investments in the old big tank for an even swap for the newer smaller setup. It‘ll take some time and effort but might be worth it, especially as you transition to the retirement years.

Are you planning on traveling at all after retiring? I’m wondering how I’ll be able to care for a tank when I retire and decide to travel a lot.

Good luck with retirement though! I’m envious!

I feel for you, man. I have a 220 in the basement and I cannot fathom how I’d ever get it out of there dry, let alone with all that time and money and water and life and memories invested into it.

300g is a tough size too. Not every household can manage that size and commitment. It might be tough to get someone to take on the entire system at once. Most of the fun of this hobby is building it over time.

I’d probably target a smaller tank that you can manage in the new place, ID whatever gear/life that would be appropriate for the new house setup, and sell off everything else. It sounds like you could make a sizable amount that would hopefully offset all the costs of the new setup. Basically swap out your investments in the old big tank for an even swap for the newer smaller setup. It‘ll take some time and effort but might be worth it, especially as you transition to the retirement years.

Are you planning on traveling at all after retiring? I’m wondering how I’ll be able to care for a tank when I retire and decide to travel a lot.

Good luck with retirement though! I’m envious!
So we are huge scuba divers and yes we are going to travel. We actually have 3 trips rescheduled for the upcoming year. I use a square 50 for a sump. Might use that as a new small tank. I have a mini calcium reactor that I don’t use- used it to model and build my dyi reactor.
im bummed. Don’t want to move but my taxes are 13k. And my pension will be a lot less than what I make now.

Jersey is not on the top of anyone’s list to retire in, this much is certain.

What scuba destinations do you have planned? I was lucky enough to dive Palau, including jellyfish lake, and Truk lagoon many years ago. Beyond compare experiences. Have not been diving for too long. I miss it.

What scuba destinations do you have planned? I was lucky enough to dive Palau, including jellyfish lake, and Truk lagoon many years ago. Beyond compare experiences. Have not been diving for too long. I miss it.
We are doing a livaboard to the Bahamas. Got cancelled by storm. We are also going to tobego and Carmen islands. My big wish is Indonesia and your above mentioned locals. Raja ampat is my number 1 to get too

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Good luck with retirement.
I do think going smaller in the new place and salvaging whatever equipment you have would be a good idea.
Selling as a full setup will go no where so just sell equipment individually.

We have to stay. My wife isn’t ready to retire. Public education requiring live in NJ.

Have you listed your home yet? I ask because I am curious what feedback you received from any realtors regarding the large tank? Mine have always advised that having large aquariums can either really help or hurt your chances of selling. Having said that, I agree with comments above, start downsizing now. Having 3 tanks of own, my biggest fear is what I will do with everything during the process of moving. My plan is to set up a temp tank somewhere or bribe a LFS to keep my most treasured livestock for me until I am back up and running again - basically save anything that can’t easily be replaced .... and you should consider a live-aboard trip to Socorro...

Have you listed your home yet? I ask because I am curious what feedback you received from any realtors regarding the large tank? Mine have always advised that having large aquariums can either really help or hurt your chances of selling. Having said that, I agree with comments above, start downsizing now. Having 3 tanks of own, my biggest fear is what I will do with everything during the process of moving. My plan is to set up a temp tank somewhere or bribe a LFS to keep my most treasured livestock for me until I am back up and running again - basically save anything that can’t easily be replaced .... and you should consider a live-aboard trip to Socorro...
We were watching a show about Socorro. This is why we have to move!!

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I am a realtor and I I had a reef tank and I recently listed and sold my house. My old tank was in wall in the basement family room. I took it out and fixed the space. A house with a large aquarium is hard to sell. By the time my buyers looked at the house the fish room was gone.

They have a lot of 55 and over places in nj.
These places are subsided by the state so the taxes are very low.

If you don’t want to leave the state you can find a lot of retirement homes in nj with low taxes.

I am a realtor and I I had a reef tank and I recently listed and sold my house. My old tank was in wall in the basement family room. I took it out and fixed the space. A house with a large aquarium is hard to sell. By the time my buyers looked at the house the fish room was gone.

They have a lot of 55 and over places in nj.
These places are subsided by the state so the taxes are very low.

If you don’t want to leave the state you can find a lot of retirement homes in nj with low taxes.
Yeah I’m going to pull the tank out. We are looking ocean county. So.