• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

sock holder

I thought I posted this somewhere but I cant find it.
Is there a good holder for duel lines in sump?
I heard the cpr and other one (cant remember) were pretty flimsy. I saw the diy one but wanted one that would be easier to change the sock.

If you are using 4" socks, go to Lowes or HD buy a length of 4" scd 40 PVC cut the hieght to fit and drill many holes, as large as you can with the tools you have, around the 4" pipe below the water level. Several 1" holes with a hole saw is great. If you think it's too wobbly add a 4" PVC toilet ring as a base, just grind the bottom flat with a dremel, or glue it to a piece of acrylic for a base. Works great! For the 7" socks you can use 6" pipe.

sorry not getting it what are the holes for?
Are you saying the pipe goes all the way to the bottom and the sock fits inside the pipe? Holes are so it sinks to the bottom?

So the water runs thru your sock and out the pipe below the water line not over the top of the sock.

I can take pics of how mine goes together tomorow. It's really really simple.

It also acts as a bubble tower. While starting up my new holding system over the last few months, I have been using 7" socks that I had laying around, and they obviously catch more crap, so with the start up the new system they were very helpful. But I was just about to change over the 4" socks as I have a ton of them so I'll do a step by step pic of them, I am going to end up with 3 x 4" sock holders.

As promissed, here's the gist:

Layout your materials, lets assume it's 4" you need some pipe a saw, a hole saw (at least 1") and if you want a base.
layout.jpg

Give yourself some room ....
layout2.jpg

I you have a chop saw use it for sraight cuts
chopsaw.jpg

I think a 1" hole saw is minimum a drill press is sweet if you have one at you use ...
holesaw.jpg

What ever your pipe diameter, that's a good # of 1" holes these are 1 1/4 cause that's what I found first :p
drilledholes.jpg

Before you cut your pipe, measure the depth of your sump. You want it below the top, but your choice of base maters on over all hieght and where the holes should go. You want them below the water line
couplbase.jpg

In a low energy sump, you may not need a base at all. A couple will work, but it raises your pipe so measure for it. If you have the room a "knock out" toilet ring ($4 at HD) makes a great stable base for a high flow sump
Tring.jpg

If you choose to use a base, be sure to measure for it. Do not glue it it's not needed
TringBase.jpg

Also consider what length sock you are using the short one will work fine in a pipe measured for a long sock but not the other way around
shortlongsock.jpg

Slip the sock in place
holderwsock.jpg

Sock should not bunch in the bottom
socktobottom.jpg

If your like measure some feet for the toilet ring base (Or dremel off the center ring)Cut'em on the chop saw or clip with PVC cutter, these are 1/2"
markfeet.jpg

Glue them in place ... you're done!
gluefeet.jpg

For the larger diameter socks use the 6" PVC pipe & couples (Toilet ring don't fit this size)
6inholder.jpg

Oh, the pipe I used here is slotted because it is well screen, only because it was the piece I grabbed to make these picks, solid pipe avalable at HD or Lowes will work fine. Some of the socks & fittings are nasty cause I grabbed them out of sumps or off trucks to do this example :)

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nice bax, Thanks for the instructional pics. I was actually thinking about building the same thing, but I need to control bubbles more. How expensive is that well screen and does it come in a different diameter?

Taz

Tazmaniancowboy said:
Thanks Bax. What micron sock do you use and approx how much flow do you put through it?

Taz

Taz

It depends upon your set up. for most drains 25 microns is as small as you want to go as it'll clog too fast. But some folks use 100 microns and do just fine. I run a throttled down Dart and get about two weeks out of a sock. I have two drains so two socks. I guess my flow is about 1500 gph thru the two socks maybe a bit more. I am not sure but I do know I am maxing out my overflows in the 75 & 90 that I run with this sump.

I also have a third sock that is 5 microns, this filters the effluent from my UV. Overkill? Not when you see the fine spooge that coats that sock. But that's a special use. As the UV is nuking very fine floating materials. It is also fed by a small pump that draws water after it passes the 25 micron drains. I keep a media bag of carbon in this UV sock too and change it weekly.

I can tell you this when I puled off the sock to change them earlier this week, my skimmer immediately started pull skim like crazy, so, I am hooked on the benefits of socks. They will remove a huge amount of large stuff from the water column.

Remeber this, socks or any filtering media collecting tank crud will become nitrate producing monsters. So coarse media or filter socks need to be cleaned or changed regulary. Since there is beneficial bacteria there I try to rotate thru the filter media(s) in my system changing it here or there and not all media at once. Thay way you are always reseeding new media from bacteria thriving elsewhere in the system that are also living in these high neutrient conditions. At least that's my theory ::)

reeferwanabe said:
very cool Bax. and just what I was looking for. Thank You.

Happy to help. This is so cheap and versitile as you can switch up a sockholder/bubble trap out of PVC for any size sump, in any limited space the sock will fit for whatever specific use. I've seen some slick acrylic sock holder & bubble tower devices, but I'd rather spend my coin on frags ;D

this is cool. I use flexible vinyl tubing for my filter socks. I've been tieing the sock to the filter output lol. Bad Idea I know lol.

Whether you run a flex tube or hard pipe as a drain I like to end it with a T with a vent going up and a drop tube into the sock. This also reduces bubbles and quiets the splashing quite a bit.