• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Socks and Skimmers

It looks like im going to be getting a new sump soon (Aqueon Proflex 2) so I just need a little help with this.

First- Filter Sock:
Felt or Mesh and what micron. While Im at it, are all brands equal or do some fall apart easier then others.

Second - Skimmer
I'm leaning towards the SWC 160 Extreme Cone. I've heard nothing but good things about them but also wanted to get some opinions any other skimmers that are similar.

My tanks a 72 gallow bow with probably a medium bioload and althought Im sure a 160 is overkill, thats the area I want to be in.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I think 200 micron is pretty standard regardless of mesh or felt. I started with felt, but found it difficult to get clean, so I now use the mesh type. Another skimmer option might be the Bubble Magnus NAC 7, but make sure you get one with the pin wheel impeller. Earlier versions had a mesh mod type and were problematic.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Socks: Felt socks shouldn’t exist! Your only choice is mesh. The size depends on what you want to do. I use a sock just to keep my skimmer pump “clean,” so a 200 works well for me. Realize if you go to a fine sock, it will need to be changed/clear more frequently. My 200 needs to be cleaned/changed weekly. The other choice you need to make is 4 inch or 7 inch sock. If you can fit it, I’d go for the 7 inch…more surface area….lasts a little longer between changes.

Skimmer: SWC or Bubble Magus are two good cone skimmers. Both have potential issues with their mesh wheels. BM no longer sells there pump with a mesh. The one issue with SWC is that the owner of the company was arrested for smuggling (I think rock) into the country. So the company might be up in the air. The SWC 160 comes with the Atman 2500 pump and I’ve recently discovered that a couple nylon washers on the impeller shaft appears to have cured the issues with the mesh wheel in that pump.

Arnie, your always welcome to stop in and see my sock (and sock holder) and SWC 160.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I like felt they seems to buff the water...As to cleaning i have never had a prob with them.. I just add a tad of bleach and they come up as good as new

kevin

NJRC Member
I bought a bunch of the 7" 200 Felt from BRS. I switch it out once or twice a week. When I get close to the end of my stack I throw them in the washer on hot with a cup a bleach. Let it air dry for a week or two.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I bought a bunch of the 7" 200 Felt from BRS. I switch it out once or twice a week. When I get close to the end of my stack I throw them in the washer on hot with a cup a bleach. Let it air dry for a week or two.
I do the same. I have taken them out of the wash and put directly into use, but remember I'm not using it on a small system

I think 200 micron is pretty standard regardless of mesh or felt. I started with felt, but found it difficult to get clean, so I now use the mesh type. Another skimmer option might be the Bubble Magnus NAC 7, but make sure you get one with the pin wheel impeller. Earlier versions had a mesh mod type and were problematic.

Thanks Jim, Ill look into the NAC 7 as well. Everywhere I read Im hearing the same about the felt socks, that they are very hard to clean but they do trap more...which is a little confusing being that they are both the same micron rating. I wouldn't think that would be the truth but I keep seeing people post it.

Socks: Felt socks shouldn’t exist! Your only choice is mesh. The size depends on what you want to do. I use a sock just to keep my skimmer pump “clean,” so a 200 works well for me. Realize if you go to a fine sock, it will need to be changed/clear more frequently. My 200 needs to be cleaned/changed weekly. The other choice you need to make is 4 inch or 7 inch sock. If you can fit it, I’d go for the 7 inch…more surface area….lasts a little longer between changes.

Skimmer: SWC or Bubble Magus are two good cone skimmers. Both have potential issues with their mesh wheels. BM no longer sells there pump with a mesh. The one issue with SWC is that the owner of the company was arrested for smuggling (I think rock) into the country. So the company might be up in the air. The SWC 160 comes with the Atman 2500 pump and I’ve recently discovered that a couple nylon washers on the impeller shaft appears to have cured the issues with the mesh wheel in that pump.

Arnie, your always welcome to stop in and see my sock (and sock holder) and SWC 160.

Thanks Paul! I did hear about the SWC owner which did make me think twice about that. As far as a sock im going to have to do a 4" because thats what comes with the sump.
I like felt they seems to buff the water...As to cleaning i have never had a prob with them.. I just add a tad of bleach and they come up as good as new
Thanks Sid, I'm thinking im going to get a couple of each and try them out. I don't want to be stuck with none once the current ones get dirty.

I do the same. I have taken them out of the wash and put directly into use, but remember I'm not using it on a small system

Thanks Kevin and Taz, with putting them in the washing machine dont I have to worry about other soaps and that may be hanging around in there? Or should I just put it on a low load to wash and then do another rinse after?

Would I be able to just rinse them in a 5gallon bucket with diluted bleach instead of using the washing machine?

I use the felt socks too and change em out once a week.I agree on getting the longer ones for obvious reasons.We already talked about skimmers..gd luck in yr choices

I also use the felt socks. You can easily get the material at walmart and make your own if you can sew. Which is what im doing. I rinse the heavy material out in the sink and just toss the sock in the washer with a little bit of bleach and they come out good as new!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Oh, one more thing about socks….and I’m not familiar with your sump, so this might be dictated by the sump….but they come with draw strings or with a hard plastic ring. Again, I have 7 inch socks with hard plastic rings, and when it was suggested I wash them in the washing machine, I then had socks with broken plastic rings. So the folks that are saying, “throw them in the washing machine,” I’ve got to believe they are talking about socks with drawstrings.

The primary reason I don’t like felt is that to truly clean them, they need to go into the washing machine. With the mesh ones, I simply rinse them under the sink while rubbing fabric to fabric, and that’s it. No washing machine or bleach needed.

Thanks Paul,

Good to know. I will have the plastic rings on mine so thats something I have to keep in the back of my head.

i use the felt ones two, with the plastic rings, i have both 12" and 14" ones. i have them hang in a cpr sock holder and i change them out when the water starts to flow over the rim of the sock, which is about every 2-4 days. i rinse them in the sink, turn them inside out and rinse again, then when i have a few dirty i throw them in the wash with bleach and extra rins cycle and no problems with the ring braking or craking

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Maybe it's the seven inches that doesn't wash well.

IMG_2280.jpg

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have the 12 inch felt socks with plastic rings and never had a problem with them breaking. I even throw them in the dryer with a no heat setting with no issues.

yeah in fact i threw mine in the wash and dryer last night with no problems...maybe its just the manufacture...i have to different ones...one is stiller the the other but they are hard plastic WHITE rings not black ones

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have the 12 inch felt socks with plastic rings and never had a problem with them breaking. I even throw them in the dryer with a no heat setting with no issues.

Mark, are you using industrial socks?…..12 inches? Regular aquarium socks are either four or seven inches.

I will still contend that 7 inch diameter, plastic ringed socks, either with black or white plastic, will be broken up in a washing machine.

IMG_4844.jpg

Where is everyone buying theres from?

The last purchase of socks for me came from the TBAquatics group buy last year…..I think somewhere in the $4 range per sock.