• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Socks and Skimmers

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm using a 200 micron mesh sock on my 75g tank. It looks just like Paul's last pic with the tape measure, except mine are 4 x 7 I think.

I change it out once a week and to clean I simply use a stream setting on my garden hose and squirt it inside to get all the gunk to the bottom. The I turn it inside out and repeat, but now all the gunk falls right out. A few more seconds of rinsing and its like brand new!

Total cleaning time for me is about 2 minutes max.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't think you're supposed to run them through the ringer Paul. :glee:

But Jim, it’s a Maytag, and it just won’t die! Do you think we should buy a new washing machine? :grin:

344d1152748357-maytag-gyratator-wringer-washers-model-n2l-amaytagwasher60_1.jpg

Actually you’ve raised another variable in this sock washing thing….the washing machine, and the cycle used to wash the socks. The sock breaker I used was a GE, and I’m pretty sure I used the “delicate” cycle….it’s been about a year.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul, I have a front loader which is probably easier on the socks. I've never had one break during cleaning. A little bleach and good to go.

Bob

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I used to rinse mine and would soak them in a 5g bucket with water and about a cup of bleach until I had enough to run through the wash (they went in with the fishroom towels used to wipe up spills, drips, etc when the hands go into the tank) - when I'd change and have 1 in the sump and 1 ready incase I didn't remember to pull the wash out before "someone" tossed them - the wife was NOT happy about this use of the washer - something about the kids underwear being washed in the same machine - blah, blah, blah... I digress, the rest were washed. this was a huge PITA and well in an effort to help everyone get along and really just to cut a step out I and now using the paul method - rinse, rub fabric to fabric, re-rinse - replace. the other 8 socks are sitting in a box in my basement. suitable back-ups when the stitching on this one finally wears out. oh, I should mention I have 4" 200 micron mesh from BRS

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul, I have a front loader which is probably easier on the socks. I've never had one break during cleaning. A little bleach and good to go.

Bob

I could see were a front loader is gentler with the socks, not having the center back-and-forth swishy thing, (I think it’s called an agitator). I’m sure it’s that center swishy thing that ripped up my socks.

However, I will repeat, if you get mesh socks, you never need to soak them in bleach or put them in a washing machine. A minute under running water while rubbing them, fabric to fabric, gives you a clean sock. No soap, no bleach, no mad wife, no waste of tons of water to run the washing machine. Ergo, mesh socks cause for less divorces and are the “green” choice!
:grin:

I had mesh socks and went back to felt. The problem that I was having with the mesh was that, it always floated to the top. I had to put something heavy in it to keep it down. They also tend to rip easily for me. But I do miss the easy cleaning.

Question for the people that clean theirs in the washer. Are you rinsing it before placing them in the washer? I know that my sock always has some fine grain sand in it. This is probably not good for the washer.

I use marbles to keep mine in place, I haven't lost any yet. I also just rinse them out, and like Paul, just rub them between my hands, but I do soak them for a couple of days in a solution of bleach, rinse them again and hang them up to dry.

i only have one sock with the plastic ring from the hidden reef. Ive washed it several times and it wont break. It is also the smallest one they sell. i think the bigger they are the easier they break.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I had mesh socks and went back to felt. The problem that I was having with the mesh was that, it always floated to the top. I had to put something heavy in it to keep it down. They also tend to rip easily for me. But I do miss the easy cleaning.

Question for the people that clean theirs in the washer. Are you rinsing it before placing them in the washer? I know that my sock always has some fine grain sand in it. This is probably not good for the washer.

Rich, I wet the socks in the sink and rinse them out. I also turn them inside out to get any crap out and rinse again. Then toss them all in the washer.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I just shake the stuff out of them and toss em in

Paul, I think front loaders could be a little violent on them also, they are constantly tumbling. I did have an occasional break where you describe, but what I found worse on mine was the ring would rub the mesh and actually slice through after about 8 washes. I like each type for various reasons, but right now I am pushing so much water that I had to switch to the fabric. With about a 4 foot drop after I added to my system, the water would pulverize everything and slip through the mesh ones, so I now have custom 8 x 24" fabric ones!

This is real good stuff….I like it! Now I know what to do with the aggies I have, including the shooters and queenies…..right into the old filter sock.

Good stuff! Thanks Jim.

You might want to take them out of the sock before you run them through the wringer though. :smug: You must have been a mighty mibster.

In terms of 100 or 200 micron what is everyone using? It seems the standard is 200 micron but am curious what I should order my extras as