• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Source of high PO4

I was speaking with Radiata about using tap water for my new tank rather dragging out the RO/DI and finding a place to install it. But I was a little worried aboout the possibility of high nitrate and Phosphate in the tap water. He mentioned a new article by Randy Holmes Farley about phosphate sources, so I tracked it down and read it this morning.

I thought others might be interested as well.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/chemistry

That article was good but also.didn't tell you much abt how to cut it out of you aquarium intake. But it goes to show all that ro rinsing of cubed food is a waste. But i still do it. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Jeff
Youve seen my tanks completely algae free and never use ro/di
I honestly feel its a waste (just my opinion),25 years ago when I started there was no rodi so im not going to start now....

Yeah you and Bob both use unfiltered tap water and neither of you have algae problems, that's why I'm considering it. It also seems a little counter productive since my tap water is so high in Ca and Mg.

Part of the problem with this very attractive idea is it puts you at the mercy of the town water department. If they mess up (too much chloramine, runoff gets in the supply, etc, etc. you can have a tank crash. My friend's store in Chester is swamped (*hah) with customers having algae problems every spring when the well starts pumping out fertilizer runoff.

Jeff
Youve seen my tanks completely algae free and never use ro/di
I honestly feel its a waste (just my opinion),25 years ago when I started there was no rodi so im not going to start now....

Those that do this are just lucky enough to have a good water source. Everyone isn't so lucky.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Jim
Not sure if you have a direct well on your property or are on the town wells like Jeff and I,Jeff is lucky enough to have a water treatment station at the end of his road where all the nasties from the fertilizer and storm run off are taken out of the water.
Im also lucky that my town treats the water as well.

Part of the problem with this very attractive idea is it puts you at the mercy of the town water department. If they mess up (too much chloramine, runoff gets in the supply, etc, etc. you can have a tank crash. My friend's store in Chester is swamped (*hah) with customers having algae problems every spring when the well starts pumping out fertilizer runoff.

Like Jim said, my town has installed a bunch of water treatment facilities around town in the last couple of years. I believe they are RO stations or something similar. That's why I'm considering just using tap water.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Your food could be source of High PO4. I have been there with that problem. The food I was using had off the charts PO4.