• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Splitting overflow and return manifold

Since I'll be add a new sump soon I'm considering cleaning up my plumbing and making things more efficient. The problem is I'm dump when it comes to this. I am thinking of setting up the sump with the return in the middle, therefore I would need to divert overflow to the skimmer and refugium. I am also considering making a manifold from the return pump to supply my reactors as well as main return. I can picture it all in my head but I have no idea how to put this into practice. Can someone help and explain this to me. Also pictures of your systems would be awesome that way I can see what is going on. My sump will be a 40 breeder and the DT is a 90RR with single overflow. Thanks in advance.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
John, I have a 40 breeder with the return in the middle. It’s just easiest if I send you to the “Tale” page HERE…first page, where it shows the building of the sump. I’ve made one change, going from an external skimmer to an internal skimmer. So the sump looks like this now:

IMG_5291.jpg

John, I have a 40 breeder with the return in the middle. It’s just easiest if I send you to the “Tale” page HERE…first page, where it shows the building of the sump. I’ve made one change, going from an external skimmer to an internal skimmer. So the sump looks like this now:

IMG_5291.jpg

Paul, thanks for the link. This is good because in addition to using the same size sump we are both using the same skimmer. Perfect. I'll check the thread out.

My biggest concern is simply splitting the overflow. When the water flows down from under the tank durso, and I split the pipe with a tee. Do I restrict flow going to the fuge, thus sending the rest to the skimmer or do I restrict flow going to the skimmer thus sending the rest to the fuge?

I have a valve on the line to the skimmer so I can adjust the flow through it. The rest backs up the pipe and overflows into my sump. Depending on what reactors you're going to use, you may be able to feed the reactor from the overflow as well.

I have a valve on the line to the skimmer so I can adjust the flow through it. The rest backs up the pipe and overflows into my sump. Depending on what reactors you're going to use, you may be able to feed the reactor from the overflow as well.

So what I gather is that from the Durso coming down under tank I would put a "T" then the pipe going straight down to skimmer section with a ball valve on it? The other pipe just feeds the fuge? Do I need to put a valve there also?

Feeding the reactor with overflow sounds interesting. Im using a BRS dual reactor. How would one set that up? Thats not even something i thought possible.

Yes that's the the way I have it. The valve is in tubing close to the skimmer so when it's closed there's very little water to spill when disconnecting the skimmer. The horizonal leg coming of the T can be T'd some more to create a manifold that feeds the reactor(s). Just remember to put a valve before the fuge/sump so you can create back pressure to feed the reactor.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not a big fan of restricting any part of the drain (easy way to cause a flood) unless you are using a Herbie overflow.

When you do a middle return pump and have dual overflows, it's easy to have one drain to the skimmer and one drain to the fuge. If you do the pump in the middle, but only one overflow, have the drain go to the skimmer section. The pump in the middle would have a T and valves to divert some water going back to the tank to the fuge section. If you do a manifold you can run your reactors and have a line off the manifold feed into the fuge.

Here is the manifold on my 65.
52E2E74C-C6BD-41CB-854B-E9BEB7BD1D85-15968-000010646305FD8A.jpg

Hey John where did you get the glass cut from I'm getting ready to make one my self. Thanks in advance

Dan, I got it done at glass castle in lawarnceville. As far as cost it was the average after calling around to a few places. They charged me $15 each piece. I paid cash so the cut off the tax. Most of the places I called wanted anywhere from $14-$16 a piece,and one place in pemberton wanted $12 each. But all needed a week or more to get it done. I orders from glass castle at 10:30 this morning and picked it up around 1:30.