• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SPS growth

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, although I was frustrated that my tank couldnt grow zoas and SPS was growing like weeds, my husbandry has fallen off and the SPS are dying back.
As I have no zoas in the tank due to the SPS being water quality divas, I'm a bit pissed at them.
But I will appease them, as they're hot and I'm shallow.
So. I'm getting back into a daily minor sand stir and taking a turkey baster to the rocks.
Hand removed any major GHA, and have a reactor on the way.
Doing a 5g water change evry 3-4 days (30g total volume).
But, here's the big Q.
I'm running an auto dose of 5ml Alk per day and I'm maintaining at 8.9dKh with my current husbandry patterns.
Where are you folks that are SPS dominant, seeing the best growth.
Yeah, I know, I can look it up easily, but I figure, heck with it, I'm gonna let my $25 bucks do the work. And, of course, all the time it took me to type this.

So, what are you folks running Alk at at what's your SPS growth like?
For extra credit, you can mention the effect on LPS and softies.
Don't forget to write your name in the upper right hand corner of the sheet, and #2 pencils only.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I run my alk around 7.5-8 dKH, the higher the alk i find the corals are more sensitive to change when it comes to no3/po4 changes, personal observations.

I do a 10 gallon water change every 3-4 weeks, going to do a auto water changes soon and i run a calcium reactor.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We are around 9 to 9.5 and have been getting good growth in That range. That is why they say 7 to 12 is the range, it is whatever works for you.

erics210

NJRC Member
So my 16.2 Alk was No Good? lol
Just tested...
ALK=9.0
The Tropic Marin was at 8.8 when mixed up, so shooting for somewhere around there.
So 9.0 seems good. will test the next few days and see how things go.
Dropped from the 16.2 in a couple weeks. Wanna see how things respond to being at a more constant 8.8-9.0 range.
Next will try and pinpoint pH.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
So my 16.2 Alk was No Good? lol
Just tested...
ALK=9.0
The Tropic Marin was at 8.8 when mixed up, so shooting for somewhere around there.
So 9.0 seems good. will test the next few days and see how things go.
Dropped from the 16.2 in a couple weeks. Wanna see how things respond to being at a more constant 8.8-9.0 range.
Next will try and pinpoint pH.
Be careful with trying to pinpoint PH, there are many factors that can change your ph levels and I have seen people get obsessed with that number and hurts their tank overall. Focus on alk and keeping it steady and I think you will be happy. I don't think I have tested PH in the 10 years plus of owning a tank.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have a mixed reef so I try to keep
Alk @ 8
Calcium @ 450
Mag @ 1400

This worked for me in the past and it’s a good middle ground for all corals.

Attachments

• 7959CF2F-B94C-42CA-B518-55FA565F4E67.png
    7959CF2F-B94C-42CA-B518-55FA565F4E67.png
    418.9 KB · Views: 2
I keep my alk between 7.5 and 8 I get good growth with my sps and lps. I do dose kalkwasser to keep my ph up if you can keep your ph up around 8.1 to 8.2 you'll see faster growth.

erics210

NJRC Member
pH seems to be my next parameter to focus on. Testing with my API leaves alot of room for variation. Red Sea test is a bit more easiliy to read.
What are you using to test pH? And As it varies from day to night with lighting, etc. When do you test?

erics210

NJRC Member
Be careful with trying to pinpoint PH, there are many factors that can change your ph levels and I have seen people get obsessed with that number and hurts their tank overall. Focus on alk and keeping it steady and I think you will be happy. I don't think I have tested PH in the 10 years plus of owning a tank.

I REALLY think this 8.8-9.0 ALK range should be doable since switching away from Reef Crystals which I tested my fresh mix at 13.2 last month. 13.2!
How was I gonna maintain a 8.5-9.0 ALK when my water changes would raise my ALK to levels my tank was not prepared to handle.

I think my short term plan is to see if I can maintain the ALK at the 8.8 level with just small weekly water changes.
If I actually have consumption I am prepared to dose BRS 2 part as needed.

And I just want to see where my pH ranges. As long as its reasonable I won't freak out chasing them, but would like to know.

Lastly, I am probably going to do an ICP test once things settle down in a month or so and see where I am at.

john90009

NJRC Member
I have a 29 biocube with a massive amount of rock in the tank, so honestly the amount of water in the tank is prob 20 gallons. I keep my alk 7.7 to 8.1 and I do 6 gallon water changes with reefcrystals and the corals do not give a hoot with the rise in alk. I have always used reef crystals and after trying a Red Sea salt I went back to reefcrystals, corals were used to the reefcrystals ( I will always run reefcrystals for the rest of my life) I haven’t been home to feed the tanks at all so that has slowed growth, phosphates are at .05 and nitrates were undetectable. However now I started feeding the alk consumption has gone up and everything in the tank zoas, favias, sps are exploding with growth.

erics210

NJRC Member
John, when you say FEED THE TANKS, do you mean Reef Roids, Aminos, etc for corals or more fish feedings and then their poop helping coral growth?

john90009

NJRC Member
My tank only has a target mandarin, two small clowns and an azure damnsel. The fish were getting a few pellets once a day backs then. Now I have been adding 1 ml of reef energy, a cube of mysis and a saltifert measuring spoon of reef roids. And my phosphates haven’t budged lol

john90009

NJRC Member
I would prefer to have big fish who crap a lot but I don’t have a skimmer on the tank so exporting the dissolved organics only happens with my water changes so for now I am making small changes with tiny fish that make tiny crap :)

erics210

NJRC Member
I just put my skimmer back online after a few months out thinking I would try a dirtier tank. That was before I realized my ALK was through the roof.
So I did have lots of changes in the past 3 weeks. Didnt kill anything. BUT Have a spot or 2 of red slime build up that I just cant shake including a Cotton Candy Chalice. Maybe a peroxide dip?

john90009

NJRC Member
I have never dealt with red slime in my display ever. In all my tanks it would be present in my fuge but never ever touched the display. It was weird I guess the flow was always too much. My rocks get blasted to where I don’t think bacteria can even colonize on it. I remember an old old reefer on here who used to have bouts of it and just let it be and over time as the rocks matured and the tank stayed stable it just disappeared, I would assume other bacteria took over.

john90009

NJRC Member
Mark when I used to have my old 75 gallon tank which I was able to feed heavily, my alk would sit at 9 and stuff grew like crazy. I used to have my pictures on a friends photobucket. However we can’t figure out how to access the pictures anymore but the tank exploded with coral growth at 9dkh.

Attachments

• CCE3704D-F530-49AE-A416-216C802A032F.jpeg
    CCE3704D-F530-49AE-A416-216C802A032F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 1E40DDC8-F643-45C0-8704-D0A473498B8B.jpeg
    1E40DDC8-F643-45C0-8704-D0A473498B8B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

john90009

NJRC Member
Found a less bright one. As long as you got nutrients the 9 would be great :)

Attachments

• 7E7D2B0F-AAAD-4DA8-8CD8-11B7BD36A5B3.jpeg
    7E7D2B0F-AAAD-4DA8-8CD8-11B7BD36A5B3.jpeg
    458.1 KB · Views: 6

erics210

NJRC Member
I have never dealt with red slime in my display ever. In all my tanks it would be present in my fuge but never ever touched the display. It was weird I guess the flow was always too much. My rocks get blasted to where I don’t think bacteria can even colonize on it. I remember an old old reefer on here who used to have bouts of it and just let it be and over time as the rocks matured and the tank stayed stable it just disappeared, I would assume other bacteria took over.
Just a few spots. One of my red sea circulation puts died on my- so need to order a replacement, in the meantime, a little weak flow in that area.