• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SPS Question/Advice

I have a 75 gallon reef which until recently was mostly softies and high end zoas. For some unknown reason, I got the SPS bug and have accumulated over 40 frags of some gorgeous SPS frags(red planet, peral berry, plum crazy, oragon blue tort, just to name a few). I understand the variations between a softie and SPS tank and plan to evacuate all the softies very soon. I have been highly attentive to Cal, Alk and Mag and to date all SPS is thriving in my frag racks. I am however adding some 200 Mils each of Randy's two part daily just to keep my Alk at 8 and cal at 420. All of this is being done by testing and dosing and its sub-optimal for SPS given the need for consistant conditions. My 75 has no sump. It simly has alot of live rock, sand, a HOB protien skimmer , which works great, and a Fluval canister filter which only has carbon, phosban and floss as media. For flow, I use a Koralia 4 and 2.

I just dont have the time to go the Calc Reactor route right now or change the tank(Not RR) to include a sump> I am thinking of trying to intergtate Kalkwasser into my set-up but not sure how to do that or if thats the right approach here. For me, I have put the carriage way in front of the horse, so to speak. While things are going well at the moment, we all know that will change at some point.

Would appreciate any feedback/ideas/suggestions you all might have. Thanks

P.S. My 220 FOWLR is a breeze. What was I thinking with the reef?????

The Ca Reactor is not necessary but would definitely make things a lot easier. You can dose Kalk without it but you will have to be careful of pH fluctuations. You could go the route of kalk+vinegar. Read up a little about it and decide if that is something you would prefer to try. I dose using this method and I can usually pour a gallon of this solution without a large pH swing. It's not for everybody so make sure it is something you want to do. I do recommend you add a sump to this setup as it would make things easier as well as adding turnover/flow to the setup which the SPS would definitely appreciate.