• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Stand build with my 11 year old son,30 gal Pico Nano Tank

Started the day picking up a light for his tank at 7:45 this morning ( thanks MrX ) than his travel hockey game (won) then Home Depot for wood and back home to start the build with his help, and he did help out a lot.. So I decided to make the stand 6" wider than the tank and 5" deeper.(tank 19"x 19 1/2" ) cut all the wood and screwed it all together with coated galvinized screws.i let my son put most of the screw in and measured all the pieces with a like help from dad (wink ). And then cut a plywood to size and attached to stand. All done in 2 hrs not to bad!! Well almost I still have to put trim on it but he wanted to paint it, the wife wanted stain but lost the fight. So I also decided to add a little character to his stand and drew a shark on the side and cut it out with a jig saw, I plan on putting a piece of glass on in from the inside and I light to make it stand out, plan on doing something on the doors when I build them I will post those pictures when I finish it .He choose the design,,,

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    823.6 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    851.7 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    862.7 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    911.1 KB · Views: 25

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Dude sweet build. What you using for lighting the shark? Might be cool to put some color changing LEDs and set it so the colors cycle though

I just had a strip light in there but That's what my son said about color changing so we shall see what I can find, hopefully will finish the stand off tomorrow, see what happens, travel hockey is always a build stopper

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Oh I can see that. My girl plays soccer and I do goalkeeper training so I'm like always at the soccer field and not getting projects done.

Years ago I picked up this led stripe from Lowes. Comes with a remote to go into different mode. I have it on the fade/cycle mode under my entertainment stand.

20160924_184632.jpg

Thanks Juan and Horseplay, it was a lot of fun building it with him and he really did help a lot, I let him do all the measuring and most of the screws he put in himself, I am hoping to finish it off this weekend if time permits. We have a little trim work left and I have to make the doors and then we are ready to start filling the tank.

Thanks MatteZ, it was a lot of fun, Priceless moments you have to treasure..............
He is ready to start the tank, so I just did a water change on my tank (90 gallon) on Sunday and plan on doing another one this Saturday and take some of that water and add it to his take with new made water as well to speed up the cycling process, clean and cured new rock that is ready to go, this is how I did my other sons tank and all is well with that tank..... Post pictures soon