• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

starting 5.5

Okay, i want to start a 5.5gallon nano but it will probably be slow. Right now i'm just trying to figure out what would work well.I don't think i'll keep anyfish but if you have suggestions for what would work well lemme know.

5.5 aga
(2) Coralife 20watt self ballasted lights (would this be enough light)
(1) 4" blue cold cathode (just as accent lighting and moon light)
(1) Maxijet 900 (would this be enough flow for the corals i want? look below for corals)
10-15lbs rock
10lbs (1inch) sand bed
50 watt heater (maybe 25?)

Corals:(what i would like to keep lemme know about issues)
ricordias
zoas
and what else do you think would be good?

Inverts;(this will depend on how much algae grows)
2-4 scarlet reef hermit crabs
2 nassarius snails
1 turbo snail

What is your experience with reefing? Let's get that outta the way first. :) Welcome to NJRC! I can see you have some experience with fresh water, but have you ever done salt? I am not saying it can't be done, but if you are going to try to do a reef tank and NOT kill everything and have not done reefing before, then a 5 gallon reef is no place to start.

However, people will say I did it and it worked for me. Since you have experience in the water world, you might get away with it. If it was up to me though I would suggest something larger for your first time, maybe around like 40-50 gallons just so there is more room for error.

Once I find out more about you I and the others here at NJRC will be able to help you better.. :)

Well, Not in my best judgment but if you are going to do it I think the items you have listed above are pretty good. Just make sure you do regular water changes and that you have your test kits. Use RO/DI water and really watch those parameters. The corals you have chosen like zoo's and mushrooms, maybe even ricordia's should fair rather well with that lighting as long as the water is really good. The MJ900 is plenty for a 12 gallon so I think you have plenty there. Keep in mind that if something dies it might cause a chain reaction in that size tank and kill everything, so keep an eye on it.

Other then that, everything else looks good. I wish you the best of luck and if you run into any trouble at any time be sure to let us know. Throw up some photos on your progress too, since we would all like to see your tank. :)

Thanks, ill turn this into a log once i start. Would the maxijet 900 be too much flow perhaps? Would i be better with the 600? Would having (3) 20 watts (60watts) be better for what i want to keep? Also around how much rock would be good since its all going to be self dependant (no sump\refuge)

I don't think that the 900 will be too bad. What I would do is get a loc-line and have it y's off to one output that basically points up towards the top to keep a nice water flow at the surface and then one pointing about at the middle to circulate the water. The price is only like 15 dollars from DR's Foster and Smith, so it won't be too bad if it is too much and you need to go lower.

I have the AquaPod 12 Gallon and I ONLY have stock lighting which is 54 watts plus the moonlights, and that is on a tank that is 16.5 inches tall, so since you have less depth to deal with I would think what you have is just fine.

I am planning on sticking about 17lbs of LR in my AP12 to start off with.. Any corals you put in will usually also come with rock, so you don't want to over do it. In a 5 gallon I might put about 10lbs to start. Seems about right.

alright thanks man i really apprecaite all the help especially since your on the iffy side of whether i can handle the setup. I'm planning on calling tomorrow and finding out how much a 5.5 and a MJ900 will cost from my LFS. May just be easier to buy the tank and then order everything else from online :\.

Also it says the maxijet can use 5/8" tube. so would i just go with the 1/2" locline?

Don't take it personally.. smaller tanks are a challenge for anyone. I believe the newer ones use 1/2 inch and you can see them here.. I know you said you were going to call your LFS, but I just want to put the links here for informational purposes.

CD-911617 L. Y Fitting (1/2")
Dr.Foster and Smith loc-line pieces

MaxiJet 900 preferred over 1200 since it is 8.5watts vs 20 for the 1200. Heat is a major considering in smaller tanks without chillers.

MaxiJets at Dr. Foster and Smith

thanks for the links, i know the locline im gonna have to get from online, but i just wanna double check the prices. WOuld i be able to connect the locline Y right to the output of the maxijet? Also all shelf rock would be the best right so i can build well shevles that will house the corals

it all depends on the tank you get.. There is going to have to be some modification on there for you.. In a tank that small you might not even need the loc-line.. I would get the pump first set up a fresh water leak test and put in the pump.. see how it does and go from there..

Usually on the larger tanks you have a connector built in for the loc-line so you run hose from the MJ to the connection and then put the loc-line on the provided connector in the tank.

Just for informational values I want you to see what other people are saying since no one else has chimed in on this topic. I don't want to scare you off, but I want you to know what you are getting into.

http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070403210727AAoO80Z

Take it slow, get the tank, test the tank with the pump, see how flow is, continue on.. do lots of reading and be patient.

yea thanks, i understand its very difficult because of the small margine for error. I plan on doing this very slow and asking lots of questions (oh boy, aren't you looking forward to that hehe). There should be a lot less waste (ammonia) since im not going to have any fish correct? I'm assuming i will still need to feed the corals but less than i would with a fish.