• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

starting an ADA cube

Oh, there will be... there will be...

(already in stock from the "old" tank)

Things are stalled at the moment as I await my driller. Plus, getting married and moving. You know... little things. This tank will be great once it gets going, I hope!

to all the nay-sayers...

the tank is drilled, the overflow is siliconed in, and it leak-tested just fine! this is going to rock!

now, if I could just get my sump finished...

a few gallons of water later...
fish001.jpg

tank is finally set-up
fish014.jpg

fish010.jpg

sorry for the blurry pix. need to get out my tripod.
fish011.jpg

fish013.jpg

fish012.jpg

It's a 250W Aquamedic pendant.

Here's a pic of the sump. I mounted a coralife mini-aqualight inside the cabinet to light the refugium, opposite the display's photoperiod.

sump001.jpg

Cranbureefer's 18" drilled ADA cube

Time for an update...

I've been finishing up my doctorate at Rutgers, so I've been mostly writing, practicing, and studying. Naturally, that means getting lost in my tank-related activities... my necessary diversion!

I removed the eggcrate to more easily service the tank. No one's jumped yet, so I think it should be fine. It looks SOOO much better. I had to fashion a shade for the pendant light, though, as it was making our living room blue. :(

Here's a current FTS's, from the front and side (I look at this tank while sitting next to it on the couch, most of the time):

P1000144.jpg

P1000145.jpg

I bought a 2.5" blue maxima clam from Absolutely Fish. I know I shouldn't have, but I couldn't resist. I now feed DT's every other day. Here's hoping!

P1000146.jpg

I also got a huge (by nano-standards) toadstool and some sort of acro from Hidden Reef. Love that place! Methinks I'll be fragging the toadstool soon.

P1000150.jpg

My birdsnest is growing like crazy! After moving him closer to the powerhead, he started getting some brown gunk on him. I've moved him back to the middle, and since then it appears to be doing better.

P1000149.jpg

I have a couple of small patches of GHA, but most of it is in the fuge. It is SERIOUSLY nasty in there. I prune out the chaeto... sometimes. I also threw some xenia frags in there from the mother colony "upstairs". They're not doin' that great. I guess it's the low flow and low-ish light of the fuge area. Oh, well.

P1000140.jpg

In other news, my aiptasia population was getting out of control ever since my scolymia ate my peppermint shrimp (as my wife says, "it's a jungle in there!"). I bought a new one at Allquatics. I actually watched him attack one of the aiptasias during his second night in tank! I haven't seen any since.

great looking tank...the corals are looking very nice. I like the maxima also...keep in mind according to the latest analysis per Fatherree - there is a lot of evidence that shows that tridacnid clams do NOT require supplemental feeding of phyto. DT's is great - I use it to boost the copepod population (and to feed the feather dusters) - not necessarily for my maxima.

I had heard that about the little clams. The new clam book is on my birthday list, so I'll have to wait another few weeks. In the meantime, I figure it couldn't hurt to feed the tank! I feel like, with my six-line and peppermint picking at the rocks all the time, my pod population seems to be kinda low. Maybe it will help them out! If my nitrate/phosphate levels start to creep up, though, I'll reduce the dosage.

Also, if the research is flawed in some way, I'll lose my clam! Absolutely Fish totally took me for a ride on the price, so I would be pretty T-O'ed if it checked out early, know what I mean? I'm figuring: better safe than sorry...

I guess, given all I've written, I'm not as convinced as I think, though. :-[

totally understand. In this hobby it's far better to get multiple opinions. I must say the book on clams is excellent and it wasn't his own analysis - he cited several sources. Anyways - get the book and read it. It's a compelling argument.

The clam (looking at it again) looks perched on that rock - is there like a small hole for it to sit in? I'm wondering that if something might knock it down (or it might move on it's own and fall).

Anyways - i got my maxima from AqOb. I was so not wanting to spend money but the clam caught my wife's eye and I really liked it too! I'm still trying to figure out whether my clam likes my light or needs to move higher (it's on the sandbed right now on a clam shell). good luck to you and hopefully we both have happy clams!

Hawkeye said:
The clam (looking at it again) looks perched on that rock - is there like a small hole for it to sit in? I'm wondering that if something might knock it down (or it might move on it's own and fall).

He attached to that rock while it was buried in my sandbed, acclimating. I think he's pretty solid in there... there's a little valley in the rock where he's attached. Hopefully, all will be well!

In the meantime, hopefully my water will go back to normal soon. I must have had a faulty calcium test kit for a while, because now my calcium seems to be up over 500. Either that, or my new kit is bad (both are/were Salifert) I'm dosing B-ionic part 1 for a while until things even out. We'll see how it goes.

crazinezz978 said:
Nice tank, I love the Slick look of ADA tanks ;D

Thanks! Me, too. I was just excited that it was drilled.... the goons over at nano-reef thought ADA tanks were tempered.