• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

starting an ADA cube

MikeNapoli said:
Those lifereef products look just like the ones you can get on dr.fosters. Since Dr.Fosters is a more known company I'd just go with them. Just my 2 cents.

You mean like the Eshopps ones? They're cheaper than lifereef, too!

I'm thinking I might just do the HOB overflow thing. Now, for the sump. In my cabinet, I have 16" X 16" X 16" of space. Thinking of DIY'ing a 5.5 gallon sump in there. It would be way cool if I could fit a fuge inside, but it's probably unlikely.

I do have a cpr-aquafuge that I could hang on the sump, I suppose. Think that would work, or would it be better to have a tiny refugium built into the 5.5 gallon sump? The aquafuge is only 2.5 gallons, but I could probably partition off a similar amount in the sump.

Could turn the 10g into a fuge near to the new tank. Well, that's if you like looking into fuges that is. :D

I've been kicking around the idea of turning an empty salt bucket into a sump instead of either a DIY job or buying something custom. Which reminds me that I need to go and start a thread about this in the morning.

I would contact the person in the thread that vengvace posted. Maybe he has more insite on drilling. HOB is still a decent option.

As far as the sump I think you can go with the 5 gallon and then do the aquafuge. It's always better to have more water volume where you can. I'm not sure how your set up is or if you have the room but I would be inclined to use a 10 gallon behind the stand, not necessarily underneath. The HOB overflow will be directly behind the tank so the drain and return can have a straight line down and up instead of having curves in your plumbing. But then your tank would be further off the wall. I guess that's up to you wether you want it to look a certain way.

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Instead of drilling the tank, why dont you silicone a 1/4" acrylic black or blue back to the tank with an overflow built into it. You can also build compartments into the back for pumps, etc. with holes in the acrylic for returns, spray bar, etc.

Just a suggestion.......

danthemanj said:
Instead of drilling the tank, why dont you silicone a 1/4" acrylic black or blue back to the tank with an overflow built into it. You can also build compartments into the back for pumps, etc. with holes in the acrylic for returns, spray bar, etc.

Just a suggestion.......

sounds a little too "all-in-one" to me. ;)

I'm still kicking around the HOB overflow with sump idea, but I may just go with my initial plan and use all of the stuff that is in my current 10 gallon. That is, build a shelf behind the tank and set the CPR-aquafuge on it, dipping the intake and output into the tank. This would minimize the stress on the panes of the tank, but still keep my refugium viewable (I do like to see the fuge, vanvance! :))

Regardless, should I paint the back black? Some of the cool frameless tanks I've seen on-line don't, but my room has wood paneling. It would look sort of strange to see fish and coral up against wood!

I was thinking of making it a 360 degree viewable design, but the room it is going in is only 16 feet by 16 feet. We have to fit a couch, chair, TV, piano (upright), and desk in this room, too! The tank is probably going to have to go against a wall (best case scenario) or in a corner (worst case).

I would paint it. Keep in mind that you don't have to go with just black either. I've had a very nice blue background color. I've seen a pinkish/purple background once (person was too impatient for the coralline to grow :D) One of my favorites though was a black to blue fade going from bottom to top.

I would paint the back also. There is someone online that did the sides, bottom and top blue and the center of the back with black making it look like it has infinite depth. I guess it depends on how artistic you can be.

I would have done that to mine had I seen it earlier.

But I would definitely paint it.

MikeNapoli said:
I'm not sure how your set up is or if you have the room but I would be inclined to use a 10 gallon behind the stand, not necessarily underneath. The HOB overflow will be directly behind the tank so the drain and return can have a straight line down and up instead of having curves in your plumbing.

I like the idea of having the 10 gallon behind the stand, for water volume and plumbing reasons. I'm worried that we would hear a constant running water sound, though, above that of the overflow. With the sump in the cabinet, all would be silent save the overflow.

Any experience here with externally placed sumps? I don't want the first fight with my new wife to be about sump noise! :-\

vangvace said:
I would paint it. Keep in mind that you don't have to go with just black either. I've had a very nice blue background color. I've seen a pinkish/purple background once (person was too impatient for the coralline to grow :D) One of my favorites though was a black to blue fade going from bottom to top.

I'm thinking black, mostly to hide any equipment I may want to place, like the Koralias. Anyone have any pictures a a blue to black fade? That sounds pretty cool!

painted the back... dark blue! 8) I think "the missus" will prefer it. Black is sort of n-r.com. Very bachelor-y.

I also bought a used 250W Aqua-medic metal halide pendant. Will be selling the sunpod once I move.

Any thoughts on noise with an external sump?

nice choice in color. I tried looking for the fade but the best I could find was the aquarium screensaver software for an example.

I think the loudest part of the sump would be the skimmer if your going to put it behind the display. Otherwise you should hear it any more than the display. Plus you can keep running you HOB fuge pretty much as is on off the sump.

I have the 150W version of the pendant. Like it alot.

thanks for the encouragement!

most likely, if I decide to put the sump on the floor behind the aquarium, I will not keep using the HOB fuge. That would force me to have my cube >18inches from the wall. >12 inches is the furthest I feel I can get away with. Of course, it would be nice to not have to buy another tank (e.g. 5.5 gallon) to make the sump. Hmm...

I'm thinking of going skimmerless. After all, it's only a 25 gallon tank! 5 gallon (25%) water changes weekly or twice monthly shouldn't be to hard to do. With the fuge's chaeto pulling out nitrates, it might work.

what do they do that's so bastard-ly?

I've only seen one for sale so far, though, at Absolutely Fish. It has a case of the fin rot. :( No thanks!

I've decided to drill the tank! I know I'm crazy, but I have it from two sources that the panes are NOT tempered; and given the evidence on RC, it looks possible!

I found a guy who'll drill from both sides of the glass, so I feel we're taking all of the precautions necessary. There will be one corner overflow with two holes inside, one 1-3/4" for a 1"-bulkhead (drain) and one 1-1/2" for a 3/4"-bulkhead (return).

I may be lazy and just buy the innards to the Megaflow system, or I may just plumb together my own Durso. Any thoughts?

Now, if I can convince the Mrs.-to-be, I could have the tank viewable from all-sides. Cool, eh? Just gotta work on where to put it...

sorry I didnt get back, sixlines are super aggressive to any new additions in the tank, so make it your last fish if you must have one; they can literally make it hell for a new fish. Also, once you have a sixline there is no more option for other wrasses. Be prepared to make that your only wrasse. And lastly, they can get pretty greedy during feeding.

Hope this helps

thanks, darkmazda! I do plan to add one last, and don't want any more wrasses (there will be three fish only: ocellaris, yellow watchman goby, sixline).

it's a decent size nano, so I'm hoping he won't be too mean to the others. I need a sixline to remove some pyramidal snails (want to get a clam).