• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Starting the nitrates dosing

Something that I have noticed it’s how different and good is the PE on the encrusting part versus the Frag that came in.
It’s a bit disappointing to see how much some pieces encrust that much when you just want them to shut up Instead.

D

Deleted member 27248

I run my nutrients “high” at .1-.25 phosphate and 15-30ppm, I daily dose and find it extremely hard to keep these numbers at or above. My lps and sps are colored up and growing quite fast in my opinion. Many people have bought or traded frags with me and seem to have success with corals from my system. An object in motion stays in motion…a growing and thriving coral wants to keep growing and thriving. IMO

eholceker

NJRC Member
Something that I have noticed it’s how different and good is the PE on the encrusting part versus the Frag that came in.
It’s a bit disappointing to see how much some pieces encrust that much when you just want them to shut up Instead.

Most sps puddle down and around before growing out. In fact most your acros will grow from the entrusting part and not the original branches.

I run my nutrients “high” at .1-.25 phosphate and 15-30ppm, I daily dose and find it extremely hard to keep these numbers at or above. My lps and sps are colored up and growing quite fast in my opinion. Many people have bought or traded frags with me and seem to have success with corals from my system. An object in motion stays in motion…a growing and thriving coral wants to keep growing and thriving. IMO

I totally agree! The Frags I got from you are doing great!!
My Frags normally grow fast (lps) the thing starts when I noticed this acros just encountered and the pe was not the desired.
It’s been better thanks God after nitrates dosing

Just an update:
The nitrates dosing it’s working thanks God, I’m getting better color, encrust and PE.
My vivid confetti encrusted the top part of the plot already and going down.

Thanks God I finally got the Hanna checker and also started dosing phytoplankton.
It’s been nice especially since I noticed the phosphate dropping because of the phytoplankton.
I even dose reef roids and Ab+ last night and phosphates still were 0.08 as the day before…

Attachments

• DB892353-0FC3-4C6E-837D-BC56B32E9D55.jpeg
    DB892353-0FC3-4C6E-837D-BC56B32E9D55.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 662FCA76-4462-4046-AA8B-D8328EF2FB31.jpeg
    662FCA76-4462-4046-AA8B-D8328EF2FB31.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 2C7669A4-38CF-44D7-A5FD-6731C1913D17.jpeg
    2C7669A4-38CF-44D7-A5FD-6731C1913D17.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

erics210

NJRC Member
Anything over 20, but I’m happy with 40-60. Gives me more room for error. I never got the worry over high nitrates. I’ve miscalculated my mix and overdosed for weeks, lol most people wouldn’t believe the number. Nothing cared. It took a while but they slowly came down with no issues. Now I’m dosing again.
Dave, what are our phosphates?

Thanks God I finally got the Hanna checker and also started dosing phytoplankton.
It’s been nice especially since I noticed the phosphate dropping because of the phytoplankton.
I even dose reef roids and Ab+ last night and phosphates still were 0.08 as the day before…
I thought phyto added phosphate????????

eholceker

NJRC Member
Phyto will actually suck up nitrates but if it dies in your tank will release it back plus more. Certainly it's not a method I would recommend for reducing phosphates

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Dave, what are our phosphates?

We’ll today it’s at .42. I don’t like it this high, I’d prefer around .1ish. I’m using a new feeder and it’s been going 24x7. I stopped phosphate dosing in response to see where I end up. Sure hope my clean up crew can keep up in the meantime.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I agree that Phyto shouldn’t be used to control anything. I view it as another food source, and I manage phosphates separately.