• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Starting up a 180.........

I am starting up a 180 with dual overflows, an Oceanic Model 2 Sump with dual return and running an ASM G3 skimmer to the sump and turning the rest of the sump into a refugium.

My question is, I have about 50-70lbs of LR from my 55 that has been up and running a little over a year now that I will be transferring to the 180 once it is up and cycled. Does it make sense for me to fill the 180 with base rock during the cycle or base rock with some LR??

Also if I just do base rock, should I buy some LR for the refugium at least?

I don't think it's a bad idea at all to add some live rock from your already cycled tank to the new tank. Will help seed the base rock during the process and will help cycle the tank a bit faster.

Would definitely also use the filter media from the 55 to jumpstart the 180. Like, if you're using carbon, put the carbon in the 180 to seed it with bacteria.

I agree with John totally!
I always jump start my new tanks or fuges/ sumps with
rock, sand, filter pads from my established tanks.
It helps the cycling process and gets it up and running much faster.