• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Starting up again after almost a year and a half.... nice to be back

R

reseter5

After selling off my 220 and 55 and 60 gallon tanks a year and a half ago , my kids begged for fish..... So i am in the midle of setting up my backup tank
AGA 90 gallon long.. .72x14x21... as of today it has the water ,substrate and filters going... my freind is taking down a 190 this week so 300 lbs of live rock is soon to be added....... pics will be up in a day or so of progress....
trying to keep it cheap in this economy... just have to get some lighting going on.. just doing fowlr......... nice to be back here.......

Your backup tank? You never left the hobby......... Welcome back. Wouldn't 300lbs of rock be to much for a 90 that is 14" in depth? The fish's might not have enough room to swim.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome back. With 300# of rock to choose from you should be able to pick the best pieces of the bunch. Welcome back and enjoy! We're looking forward to watching the tank progress!

R

reseter5

i will be taking the best rock for sure and put the leftovers in the sump.. the tank is 6 feet wide.. but i am going to leave a lot of swimming room...

R

reseter5

unfortunatly i have a crawl space... so its under the tank... but it does the job..lol

R

reseter5

alright.... stuck to my guns and kept it fish only with live rock.. kept about 150lbs of the live rock i had.. wasnt using r/o.. of course some hair algae..
was using a few hob wheel filters and a hang on skimmer.... and some pc lights.. just fish only i was gonna keep it real simple and easy
yeaah right.. that lasted
so then it began... the quest again... first to do a sump..
got hooked up with RFD4 ( rich) purchased a sump .. real nice overflow( my tank was not drilled)some fuge sand.. and a filter sock.... so i plumbed it all up with my trusty mag 12
..that was cool... but i needed some chaeto for the fuge.... so i then was in contact with jrwohler( james) and he hooked me up... bigtime.. chaeto... monti frag.. some hammer.. shrooms...kenya...a few others... great great guy
-so in the closet i went and out comes my halides.... lol from a fish only to this... i told myself i wasnt going down this road again..haha
then had to order another ro/di setup to get this tank into shape....

fire up the halides and one doesnt work.. new bulbs and all ... thru electrical testing one ballast is bad.. so i have a post on the wtb forum..lol
so far just my valentini puffer thought he could fly and live out of water.. i tried to save him but he didnt make it after 3 days of recovery.

just have to make a new canopy for the tank and i am set... pics to come!!!!

R

reseter5

now gooked up with mikem.... thanks again... he helped me get the halides in shape.. and a handfull of frags and stuff... tonight i did a big water change with r/o so the parameters are getting there... used a bucket of the old tank water and took the rocks out one at a time and scrubbed the hair algae off.. so its looking up ..haha

R

reseter5

mike is great....got to get off my but and take some pics...... halides are in... kenya.. leather.. hammer ..shrooms.. everthings doing good.... got a few little cukes.. and snails and red and blue hermits... . addes a coral beauty and a maroon clown i bought from samksy.. also a bi color angel... doing weekly water changes with my r/o so i can cycle out the tap water that was in there... all is going as planned... so far..lol

pics to come

R

reseter5

snail.jpg

shrooms2.jpg

shrooms1.jpg

coral.jpg

clown.jpg

cardinaldamsel.jpg

hiding from the camera was.... snowflake eel.. coral beauty.. bi color angel.. lawn mower blenny .. scooter blenny.. yellow damsels...among others

R

reseter5

todays task was a 100% water change..... i started the tank as a fowlr.. so i tap watered it... well the hair algae took over and looked more like a putting green.. so out everything came.. complete drain.... scrub the rocks........ and back it all goes... pics comming

R

reseter5

i had no choice... my nitrates and phosphates from the tap water were uncontrolable..
and the fish definatly like the ro/di water better... they are more active .. i tried 25% changes and it showed no change in any test.. too little of a difference.. so out with all the nutrient rich water and in with fresh ro/di... so far so good..lol

Make sure you blow off your rocks you probably have a fair amount of nutients in the rocks and sand....and run carbon and phos/silcate medium.