• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Starting up again

After a 7 year break I am returning to the hobby and I’m sure things have changed in that time. I purchased an existing setup which included live rock which has no coralline and green algae. The rock was from a fowlr. Should I give the rock an acid bath, followed by a bleach bath?

Also what sand would everyone recommend?

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Has the rock been in water continually or now dry- if it has gone dry, it's not live rock anymore- another question is if there was copper used in the FOWLR tank- if so- a big problem if you want corals
Live sand is always recommended for any new tank-

erics210

NJRC Member
DIYguy is correct. If a fish only system, some tank owners just dose cooper direct.
You can always isolate the rock in a bin or tank with a powerhead and heater and test the water after a few days.

you'll have to export whatever is on the rocks out. few ways to do it, just up to you how.

personally, I would just use the rock as is after a short bath since it will be an instant source of ammonia for the cycle.

as far as copper, the API test is pretty cheap and works well. I forget if it works on both types of copper though. there's many products that remove copper. I have run tanks with copper and later had corals, this will seem crazy or unbelievable to many, I'm sure many of you are cringing in your seats at this moment but it's true. 'the corals will never grow in a tank that had copper' is just an old myth.

erics210

NJRC Member
Yes, the rock has dried. It appeared to have too much undesirable algae on it. Should I do an acid bath?

@erics210 is that sand still “live”?
No. Sadly it's dry sand. I believe even the unused bags have been pierced at some point.

I generally don't do citric/muriatic acid baths. I do a liberal bleach bath outdoors. In winter you need to ensure you have heaters in place and keeping water from freezing.
I put a heater and powerhead and bleach. Allow it to run a few days. At that point I drain half, give the rock a once over. Look to scrape any putty or apparent glue. Then let it soak another 7 days with some new bleach added.
Then once done. Full drain and run a day or 2 with a dechlorinator.
Then a nother day with just a RODI bath and drain and allow to air dry for a little. Shouldn't have any smell from the bleach.

No. Sadly it's dry sand. I believe even the unused bags have been pierced at some point.

I generally don't do citric/muriatic acid baths. I do a liberal bleach bath outdoors. In winter you need to ensure you have heaters in place and keeping water from freezing.
I put a heater and powerhead and bleach. Allow it to run a few days. At that point I drain half, give the rock a once over. Look to scrape any putty or apparent glue. Then let it soak another 7 days with some new bleach added.
Then once done. Full drain and run a day or 2 with a dechlorinator.
Then a nother day with just a RODI bath and drain and allow to air dry for a little. Shouldn't have any smell from the bleach.
Just that?:)

Went the bleach route. Rocks have been soaking for about 3 -4 days and look bright white. Is it necessary to keep it in the full 7 like some suggest?

erics210

NJRC Member
Went the bleach route. Rocks have been soaking for about 3 -4 days and look bright white. Is it necessary to keep it in the full 7 like some suggest?
I have done less, depends on what you were stating with. If it was already dry, probably good. If it was algae covered fresh live rock with Coraline and other living matter. Wanna wait a little longer to remove all the spores and such but no sure of a minimum time. The. Soak in dechlorinator,and do a couple RODI soaks and rinses.