• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Stocking options

Figured I'd start off the new forum.
I'm trying to get an idea of fish for my tank. I've got 2 damsels that i may or may not keep. So I guess basically what are some colorful fish that are reef safe and will do good in a 55g? I've been looking at Anthia's, clown fish and maybe a goby? But i'm open to anything i would like to have at less one fish that is very active and fun to watch :)

Thank you!

Nick

saltwater4life said:
I've been looking at Anthia's, clown fish and maybe a goby?
Thank you!

Nick

Your off to a good start in my opinion. Do you have any corals? This is something you have to take into consideration as some fish like to pick at corals. I also like the Yellow Tang. You could get a small one, but might have to get rid off it at some point as your tank might be to small.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A harem of anthias would be great. They would look good with a tiny yellow tang (there's a 1.5 in the FS/FT). We had a harem in a 30 and the parms were good. You need to feed them often, but not much and they're not particularly messy fish.

Yes it's going be a reef tank. I thought about the yellow tang but i though my tank was to small. Hmm I'll have to think about that.
So do you think 2-3 Anthia's, a yellow tang and some sort of small fish like a blenny/goby would look good?

is it recommended to only have 2~3 anthias? sorry to hijack - just a question as I am unfamiliar with the species. I had read previously that it was preferable to have 5~6 some such? Or was it like a one male to 6 female ratio?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A harem is closer to 1 male and 6 females. We have one male & 3 females. I think if you were to get only 3 you'd have more of a pairing/odd man out problem.

Phil519; They are more of a schooling fish.

Aww true... Didn't think of that. Hmm... So if i get some get an even number
Well i'm going to stick my damsels in and look at getting a yellow tang tomorrow. My damsels don't seem to aggressive and i seen they are compatible but i guess if i have problems I'll take them out.

Thanks,

Nick

Not to contradict anyone but I have always read that Yellow Tangs should be kept in tank at least 75-90 gallons since they can grow to 6-8 inches.

I would remove the damsels before buying the 4-6 Anthia's.

Just a thought.

Doug

Hmm Well i like the idea of a yellow tang and anthias but i'm wondering if that will be to big of a bio load...
Does anyone else have opinions on fish? I though about a dwarf angel but i don't wanna take the chance of it eating my corals...

Thanks again,

Nick

That's what i was wondering because 4-6, 4" fish is a pretty big bio load in a 55gal...
I started looking at clowns, dart fish and reef safe wrasses.
What size of a yellow tang is to big? 4-5"? Also like the Convict Tang. any experience?

Nick

saltwater4life said:
That's what i was wondering because 4-6, 4" fish is a pretty big bio load in a 55gal...
I started looking at clowns, dart fish and reef safe wrasses.
What size of a yellow tang is to big? 4-5"? Also like the Convict Tang. any experience?

Nick

If you're going to go with a tang in a 55, go with a Ctenochaetus tang. They are the smallest tangs out there, I believe. A Tomini Tang is quite pretty if you ask me and they are usually reasonably priced.

If you're deadset on anthias, go with a smaller species like the Bartlett's or the Parvirostris.

[/quote]

If you're going to go with a tang in a 55, go with a Ctenochaetus tang. They are the smallest tangs out there, I believe. A Tomini Tang is quite pretty if you ask me and they are usually reasonably priced.

If you're deadset on anthias, go with a smaller species like the Bartlett's or the Parvirostris.
[/quote]

Sounds like good advice, does everyone concure? I actually am very interested in this topic too.

Just stay away from the Chevron tangs. Get 11"s or so (likely half that in captivity, but still).

The Parvirostris anthias is a favorite of mine. Got a set of 3 from Aquatic Obsessions. Stay relatively small 2-3"s TOPS and are quite peaceful with each other and other fish. Plus they are downright gorgeous.