• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Stocking Question (warning, this is long winded, sorry)

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
This is a discussion that morphed from another thread but I figured I may as well start fresh and get some opinions. It’s long – SORRY. I preface this saying I know this area of the hobby (stocking) tends to be a touchy subject and carries with it a lot of strong opinions. I’m not one to buck the system and I am aware of the limitations that this hobby sets in terms of trying to keep something in captivity with deference to doing so humanely and ethically...and having lectured on personal and professional ethics I know these things will mean different things to different people. But I digress, enough about that. I have a bit of a stocking dilemma. I have a 90g display with a 40b sump/refugium. The system is currently home to a single 4” Maroon Clown and a single 4” yellow tang. Otherwise, the tank has 3 small zoa frags, a paly frag, a nice “baseball” sized hammer coral, an RBTA (that’s recently split to a pair) and a CUC including a brittle star and 1 or 2 mythrax crabs, ~150lbs of LR and LS (maybe 3” in the DT, 4.5” in the fuge)

In an effort to strike a balance between my interest in the hobby and keeping my wife and kids interested (i.e., keeping my funding source) I need to have fish first and reef second. In other words, I hope to grow down the road and keep some SPS and a larger variety of coral – who knows maybe I can even swing a bigger tank one day (Fingers crossed) but for now it was time to add some fish (before anymore coral and/or associated equipment upgrades)

Along comes an opportunity. Someone was selling a group of fish on RC – they were in Hypo – presumably due to an Ich outbreak and since I would QT anything I got regardless of where from (LFS, reefer, etc), this didn’t scare me too much. It was a good deal so I thought I would cherry pick my two favorites from the bunch – a 2” blue hippo tang and a 2” coral beauty. I know the Hippos are prone to get Ich, especially when stressed from a move so certainly anything I got from an LFS would almost certainly have a flare-up (I think it’s like the herpes virus for tangs – almost all will carry it). Well with the storm and all last month, there were some delays and by the time I got a proper QT setup, the seller had lost the coral beauty. In fact he also lost a damsel (blue/yellow tail) and a royal gramma. What was left was:
1. the Hippo,
2. a small (<2”) Singapore Angel,
3. a Tomni tang (also <2”)
4. a <1” damsel,
5. a 4.5” foxface,
6-9. and 4 mollies (3 black, 1 albino)

As I saw it, this would be too heavy a bioload for my <130g system but the fish that were still alive seemed stressed and made a knee-jerk reaction and decided to take all of them. I was told that they were at Hypo for 4 weeks (5 if you add the time I lost due to the storm) after any sign of Ich had disappeared. Doing my homework I checked RC and found the seller posted questions about setting up a QT to treat ich and it was from late July so it was consistent with what he said (assuming he set up the QT soon after asking). He told me he started to raise it for me to ease the transition (it was 1.014ish when I got it) so I wanted to be sure that they are healthy and thus I slowly dropped to 1.010 and it has been there since. Will keep the QT there a few more weeks and then raise them back to 1.026 before I slowly start adding some to my DT.

This brings me to my question. If i want to keep the 2 tangs (yes, with my yellow that makes 3 in a 48” tank, cue the gasps :) ) and the Singapore angel do I have to give up the foxface and the damsel? What about the mollies? I was told they had been at full SW and they are healthy but I’m not sure I’d want to devote the bioload for 4 fish over say a small pair of percs or a goby or wrasse down the road. Anyway, I know I will get some response that may make me uncomfortable but hey I’m asking for opinions so let ‘em fly. I guess that goes for the tang police too :( - also anyone have any opinion on the mollies? I read that they can be good at algae eating (especially the surface type – hence my thought about the fuge) but I’m not sure if there is any merit to keeping them. Maybe the fry will be a good food source for my Clown and the nems? Is that worthwhile? Is it fair to offer/sell some of the fish given the uncertain history?

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I know I over did it a bit and wrote too much but I really thought there would be strong opinions on this - at least a weigh in to tell me I'm an idiot for 3 tangs..., something...

Anyway, I guess absent some suggestion(s) to the contrary, I'll be looking for a new home for the foxface, the damsel and the mollies. I suppose the mollies may have made some good food but I'm not sure it's worth the bio-load for all 4 of them. The foxface is very cool - seems very healthy - a good eater, doesn't hide really is very interesting to watch - behavior, camouflage, etc and the damsel, well it's small and a potential hazard so I see no point in adding it alone - if I had a few for a small school, that would be a different story but 1 by itself just looks lonely. maybe someone else can help him join a group....

Sorry I gave you my long winded opinion on your other thread so figured would let others chime in.

Guess I am the undisputed expert on this.:glee::biggrin::congratulatory:

It's really up to you and how much maintenance you want to do. Obviously a heavily stocked tank will probably need weekly water changes as oppossed to a lightly stocked tank were you could probably do a WC every 2 weeks.
I would get rid of the damsel, they're to aggressive and not worth the bio load IMO. Even in a group eventually we'll end up with one.
The mollies I'd through in the sump and let them do their thing. I never liked the looks of them even as a kid but the fry will help feed the tank.
3 tangs in a 48" tank? Personally I wouldn't do it but it's your tank and I''ve seen "worse" that was succesful (in the short term anyway).

I have 2 tang's....a Naso & a Sailfin in my 72" 180. These guys love to swim!! I'd go with 1 tang in a 48" tank....My tangs never slow down. They zip back and forth and around my rock work and then they like to sit in front of my Vortech's.

Can it work with all of them? Sure....but like Jcurry said....it depends on how much maintenance you want to do, and it may last a while or for a short time. In this hobby, I have realized that what I do is not necessarily going to work for you and vice versa.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I can live with the WCs. I'm mentally committed to that schedule anyway. The amount of natural daylight I have makes for some dirty water anyway - once I make doors for my stand that may drop off a bit but now I have to do a WC 1x a week just to clean the sump. As for the tangs, I would like to have a bigger tank for them (is this the part where I talk about the phone booth tank from "Tanked" and say "It must be ok or they wouldn't have done that" Tang police anyway, I hope with all the rock and caverns they will have enough to keep busy - relative, of course, to other artificial environments. I guess I could let the Tomini go but I'm finding it difficult after caring for these fish - I am getting attached. Even the foxface will be hard to see leave.

The mollies I'd through in the sump and let them do their thing. I never liked the looks of them even as a kid but the fry will help feed the tank.
The mollies I haven't gotten too attached to - I guess like you I was never a huge fan. Maybe b/c as a kid when I had FW they were "feeder fish" for my Oscars. That and they were sold by the 100s at Martin’s Aquarium when I worked there as a kid. But, that said, if I put them in the sump, won't they add to the bioload - 4 more fish pooping, feeding down there too (I know some passes through but I'd be afraid it would be too little for 4 fish - and will the fry actually "make it" up to the display?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The tomini will be ok in the 4 foot tank. The yellow will get pretty big but you might be able to get away with it. I would get rid of the blue tang, they reach 14 inches at adult length and can be way too much to deal with in a 4 foot tank. As far as the singapore angel I look at this:

The Singapore Angelfish can be challenging to keep. Some acclimate well, while others hide constantly and do not eat. Providing a quietly-located aquarium with non-aggressive tank mates and plenty of hiding places may help. A minimum of a 55-gallon tank or larger provided with live rock for grazing will also help provide an optimal environment. The Singapore Angelfish is prone to nip at stony and soft corals (sessile invertebrates) and clam mantles. It will also graze on microalgae, filamentous algae, and diatoms

Not quite sure what sort of corals you want to keep but I would keep that in mind with stocking that fish. The three tanks might also be too much aggrssion for the angel (especially in a 90g). Granted almost all angels (outside the genacanthus) have the potential to nip at corals, but depending on what your future plans are for the tank it is something to keep in mind.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
It really is up to you and the maintenance you want to perform. I do agree with Mike that a 48" tank for a large Hippo is not a good idea. If you think you will be upgrading in a year or less you might get away with it for awhile. Mine was 6" in a 75g and it swam every where all day long. The only reason I know of that people put mollies in is to eat algae. Since you will have 2 tangs I think those guys can go. You can keep them in a separate tank and breed them to feed your main tank; again more work and is up to you. The damsels, what can I say. I have a small blue with yellow tail as my family liked and we need to keep them happy as you stated.
Since you are being up front and honest here I don't see why selling some fish will be an issue for anyone. All the history available in both threads.
Good luck in your decision.

I like angels they provide a different personality. That said they will nip at everything. NOT saying that they are destructive but pick pick pick....like a wife nagging :eek:. My coral beauty would nip my clam...I actually want to say I have trained it not to. Or maybe I feed more in any case he leaves it alone now. Never had any serious issues, but it will pick. I think that since you have it in QT and it is doing well it should be OK.

I have a hippo and a naso tang both shouldn't be in a 120, they are not big, I know that if they suddenly grow like weeds I will have to move them out. Which I would hate, the naso tang is a real puppy of a fish. Like an oscar sorta smart.

Couple things to remember. Some fish, like tangs, like a reef vs fowler tank(good excuse for reef). And the more fish you have in the tank the more aggressive they will be. Adding them together will keep the fighting down. I had my two tangs and a blenny in a pretty small QT and then in the DT they never fought once.

If I had to make a prediction the yellow tang will be the most aggressive and bully the tomini tang first and maybe the hippo second, due to size, it is the biggest, body shape, first addition, and of course species/niche.

Hmmm... The Tomini Tang does not like ANY other tang. For an emergency, I had put a Yellow Tang that was the same size as my Tomini in my tank due to a friends tank exploding. The Tomini sliced the crap out of the Yellow with those little tail blades and it didn't last a day. After looking up info on the Tomini the following day, there are a lot of retail sites that state that the Tomini should not be with other tangs. ""It is aggressive towards other Tangs""

Think you will find a similar number that have nasty yellow tangs. Some will say hippo tangs are mean.
Would point out that your tomini was there first and as the yellow tangs are generally a bit larger the tomini was probably older and more aggressive.

Think you will find a similar number that have nasty yellow tangs. Some will say hippo tangs are mean.
Would point out that your tomini was there first and as the yellow tangs are generally a bit larger the tomini was probably older and more aggressive.

You are probably right. I'm hoping that it was just an isolated incident. Just throwing it out there.

Could be. I love reading about fish. Like Paul and electricity haha. No two are the same.

Another thing to do is move the rocks around, that is like saying restart your computer or clear your cookies. I want you to be successful. Just keep in mind if they grow a lot you may eventually have to move them. Will at AO has some fish in his big tank that never have really grown, we had this discussion a couple of times, so if you are lucky yours will stay on the smaller side. Over feeding is going work against you not only in growth but also in pollution so keep that in mind.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
You are probably right. I'm hoping that it was just an isolated incident. Just throwing it out there.
for what it's worth the Hippo and the Tomini are in the QT together (with a large foxface and the singapore angel, damsel and the mollies) and I haven't seen any aggression from any of them. Granted they are all small, so that behavior may change as they mature. The DT has the yellow tang and the clown and they act like friends. this sort of surprised me - the clown will sleep in a RBTA and the tang floats right next to it - every night. Of course they've been alone in the tank for months so that may have developed slowly. can't say what will happen when the population goes from 2 to 5 but I'll allow myself to be disillusioned and believe I have a kind yellow tang and everyone will be pals. I hope I don't end up having to pull anyone out but there should be lots of hiding spots (also why I don't want to have to pull anyone out)

And the more fish you have in the tank the more aggressive they will be. Adding them together will keep the fighting down. I had my two tangs and a blenny in a pretty small QT and then in the DT they never fought once.

I thought about this but I was afraid going from 2 to 5 at once would wreck havoc on my bio-load and cause more problems so I thought I would have to add them over the course of a week or so – is the conventional wisdom really to add them together?

Anyone else have an opinion on the mollies and their impact on the bioload? I don’t think I’m up for a dedicated SW breeder tank just for food. I couldn’t let them go back to FW and put the fry in a SW tank - I guess they would be fine as food but either way, that’s maintenance time I’d rather devote to keeping an extra fish or two in the DT – so if I keep them I’d like them in my sump/fuge. Lots of hair algae down there (until I get doors on the stand)

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Could be. I love reading about fish. Like Paul and electricity haha. No two are the same.

Another thing to do is move the rocks around, that is like saying restart your computer or clear your cookies. I want you to be successful. Just keep in mind if they grow a lot you may eventually have to move them. Will at AO has some fish in his big tank that never have really grown, we had this discussion a couple of times, so if you are lucky yours will stay on the smaller side. Over feeding is going work against you not only in growth but also in pollution so keep that in mind.
Thanks - and hey, I have (on countless occasions) blindly restarted my computer with fingers crossed so I appreciate the advice. I do have trouble rearranging (I don’t take to change well). I suppose I would have made a terrible interior decorator, so I’m not sure how I will be able to do with the rock but hopefully I’ll be able to do enough to reset the terrain enough to throw off the YT

I thought about this but I was afraid going from 2 to 5 at once would wreck havoc on my bio-load and cause more problems so I thought I would have to add them over the course of a week or so – is the conventional wisdom really to add them together?

Suggestion would be to add the new smallest fish first, then the tangs together last. You don't want the tangs to establish territories.

PS mollies are going to be much smaller bio load then tangs or meat eating fish.

You might consider adding something like Bio-Spira every few days before adding all of the other fish at once.

Also keeping a sheet of nori at each end of the tank continuously will help reduce some of the aggresion.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
You might consider adding something like Bio-Spira every few days before adding all of the other fish at once.

Also keeping a sheet of nori at each end of the tank continuously will help reduce some of the aggression.

Thanks for the Nori tip, I will definitely try that. Have you used the bio-spira? I thought that was something to aid in (or shorten) cycling. Is it just beneficial bacteria? And is this a recommended use? In other words, do you think I can find suggestions about how to use it in that way - like haw long before and after I add the fish, and how much per gallon? (I'm sure there is an amount per gallon on the bottle but I guess I wasn't sure if it would be the same for this use vs. an initial cycle - I don't want to throw the tank outta whack in an effort to fix something that maybe isn't broken.

It is bacteria that is benificial for the tank. I add a little once in a while doesn't hurt. Very good ideas. Yes it is used to cycle the tank, but a little extra won't hurt since you are adding bioload.