• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

stocking suggestions before overstocking

looking for suggestions on stocking my 55gallon Reef Ready

i am going to get:

hippo tang (found them around 1" in size with plans to upgrade in a year)
mated pair false percs
flame angel
dracula/hi fin goby

i really want to add in a purple tang or sailfin tang. chances are they will fight with the hippo and will get tang police excited. or just go with a flame angel.

i think 5 is max. but the percs and goby looks like the bioload is minimal, but hippo tang sounds like a beast.

I had trouble with my flame and sps ,so if thats a future plan you may want to skip it . I know there beautiful but mine was nippy. I do not have trouble with my Hippo and Tomini . I added the Tomini way after the Hippo and no problems at all . I think it may have to do with shapes being so different . I also added with lights out and fed heavy once I turned lights on . Those little Hippo's grow up real fast . But then again its a good reason for a tank upgrade. ;D

i don't have any plans on corals at this time. haven't really looked into them. i think zoas would be fine and lps (plates).

Do not forget inverts, my coral shrimp and arrow crabs are stars of the tank. the false percs are a very good choice, mine just laid eggs. Make sure they are tank bred and the black color breed is a cool option.

For the QT barebottom is best using smooth PVC pipe for hiding spaces. There is research that shows ick does not survive as well in bare bottom, might be due to being able to clean better.

Back to your original stocking question.
I did a lot of research on tangs. I have to say I love mine, so if you are definitely going to upgrade then the small hippo will be fine.
Purple Tang is an aggressive one. Beautiful but in a small tank this could be a mistake.
Sailfins are a bigger fish you will eventually need minimum 120 probably 180 in very near future.

Two suggestions plus the Tomini as was previously suggested are Kole and Two Spot Bristletooth both peaceful tangs and are not as big.

I have a Hippo and a Naso in a 120 and they do great together. Just stay away from same color and shape.

evo,

Why don't you keep that 33-36G tank you were selling as a QT? That's a good size to QT fish and make it easier for you to maintain proper levels of meds, salinity, etc.