• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Stocking Suggestions

Almost ready to start stocking my 58 and need some suggestions. I want this tank to have mostly peaceful fish and slower eaters (ie. no chromis). Another requirement will be completely clam and SPS/LPS safe. Prefer non jumpers as this is open top. Things I have added or will be adding:

2 false percs
2 banggai
1 lawnmower blenny (will remove if he gets too large or aggressive)

Hirobo,

I thought about that one but was a bit worried about putting even a kole tang in a 58. Also worried about their swimming activity. Prefer to stay on the smaller side if possible. Any other thoughts?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Good call on not getting the Kole. I think Chromis or Anthias would fill the void nicely. You could do a small angel, but the only one I'd do is the Bellus and your tank is too small for that too. Firefish?

Phyl,

I think I have too many limitations.

Chromis (too active of an eater....they outcompete my banggai currently and is why I am separating them)
Anthias (Think they might get too big relative to others)
Firefish (was thinking these would be good but the tendancy to jump is giving me second thoughts)

I'm thinking royal gramma or fairy wrasse but am on the fence with them, hence the solicitation for suggestions. I have 2 dwarf angels already and don't trust them with clams. Only angel I would chance would be a golden but tank is not mature enough for one of those.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Most wrasses are jumpers. Royal grammas are hit or miss. I haven't kept one yet.

Hmmm.... I'm drawing a total blank.

I love my scooter blennies, but again I think a mature tank is required as they're mostly pod hunters.

You don't think the clown goby will get into it with the lawnmower blenny?

I don't think I've ever seen a chalk bass before. Need to see one of these next time at the LFS.

Don't honestly know...the blenny might get after him, if you introduced the clown first it would be best.
I have seen one Chalk bass at AO nice fish but I would like to get a few of them to school I understand you can even introduce in pairs which is a bit odd. I don't honestly know why I am fascinated by them but I am :-\.

calaxa said:
Hirobo,

I thought about that one but was a bit worried about putting even a kole tang in a 58. Also worried about their swimming activity. Prefer to stay on the smaller side if possible. Any other thoughts?

I have mine in my 40 he's happy

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We have a LOT of rock in our system. Probably 500# of it. We don't have a problem with food for them. I don't think I've ever seen them actively feed on foods.

Royal grammas are a great fish when they are small. I had one get about 4" and it started to get aggressive towards other fish and eat my inverts.

JRWOHLER said:
Don't honestly know...the blenny might get after him, if you introduced the clown first it would be best.
I have seen one Chalk bass at AO nice fish but I would like to get a few of them to school I understand you can even introduce in pairs which is a bit odd. I don't honestly know why I am fascinated by them but I am :-\.

Chalk basslets can grow to 13.2 inches!?!?!?

Simultaneous hermaphrodites. Generally more peaceful than other pseudochromis.
Specimens will appear restless often nipping at each other. This behavior is normal.

Think I pass on this guy.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I opened this thread thinking that I was going to see ideas for what you might want in that stocking that was hung by the chimney with great care. Instead…well you know the rest...it's that time of year. If Santa reads this, please, not the same as last year…rotten apple and a piece of coal. I was good this year.

Anyway, we just picked up a yellow headed goby. What a neat fish. It meets all your criteria, with one potential exception…told it might jump if spooked. It’s a sand sifter. It eats sand and spits it out its gills. Fascinating to watch and it will help in keeping your sand clean. Also has this florescent strip along the gill line that lights up under actinics. One concern, if you have a new tank, your sand most likely won’t have the goodies it needs to eat.

Yeah the goby made my list too except the possible jumping aspect. I actually filled out my stock (damn pet plus sale) but I am embarassed to say what it is just yet. Don't want to rile all you guys up. Besides, if it doesn't work, they can go in another tank.

calaxa said:
JRWOHLER said:

Chalk basslets can grow to 13.2 inches!?!?!?

Simultaneous hermaphrodites. Generally more peaceful than other pseudochromis.
Specimens will appear restless often nipping at each other. This behavior is normal.

Think I pass on this guy.

You're off by only 10 inches. ;D

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=3351

They are not pseudochromis at all - completely different family.

Serranus tortugarum is from the western atlantic and is (like threadfin/glass cardinalfish) one of the few shoaling species.

Ok, figured I give a little update to this so you all can get a chance to give input:

In the tank now are:

2 false percs
2 banggai

Both pairs stay in their respective corners so it looks like I have an empty tank.

I had a massive algae bloom and the false percs used the back wall (completely covered in hair algae) as their hosting site. I couldn't stand it any longer and cleaned it all. Poor clowns are back at the surface as their sleeping area. Banggai still won't eat prepared food (4 months now) but I see them picking off pods on the glass.

So to round out my stock list:
Scooter blenny (in QT 3 weeks now)
Lawnmower blenny (in QT 3 weeks now)
Copperband Buttefly (in QT 2 weeks now, first attempt died of some internal infection)
2 sailfin or lyre-tailed mollies (not yet purchased)

I did get a kole tang in hopes it would combat caulerpa but he won't touch it and unfortunately, I will probably have to get rid of him after he is out of QT.

4 pod eaters in a 58. I know, I know. Luckily, all will eat other foods.