• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Stocking suggestions?

i am not feeling the clown fish anymore. 29gal biocube

End of this month

3 fire fish

month 4 Flame Angel

6-7month red scooter blenny (dragonet)

love me some red! just fond of these fish and just so happens to be all red in coloration.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Looks like a great stocking plan, you have fish that will live in all three levels of the water column which is nice. With that low of a bioload you could probably squeeze in one more fish.

in total that was 5?

3 - fire fish dart/gobi
1 - flame angel
1 - red scooter dragonet

i don't think i can go with 3 fire fish. was informed they would become territorial or get aggressive towards each other. so that's not going to end up staying in my list.

so possibly

1 - fire fish
1 - flame angel
1 - red scooter

2? maybe a pair? NOT CLOWNS!

clowns tend to stay in one location. i think they are overrated due to nemo. great reliable fish but sick of looking at nemos. no offensive to those with clowns though there are a lot of great other fish.

Well our tanks are only 29gallons, honestly i don't see much room for them to move around in really.. Idk to me its about the colors I love their brightness! :p

If you can have a pair of fish, one positive for clowns, then you add one more + for tank interaction. There are a number of fish that can pair up and mate. I would consider that in the stocking.

Have you thought about a pair of aquacultured bengai cardinals? We just recently got a small group at MACNA, they swim together, hang out in the middle of the water column where you can see them, and in my mind are quite lovely.

yeah i saw your posts about your pair. i just don't think they are as vibrant and eye appealing as i'd like. unfortunately, everyone has different taste. i would love a pair of something though. thanks for the thought though!

a pair of red scooter dragonets would be too difficult? i would think the copepods/etc. population would have be BOOMING to suffice.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you think clowns stay in one location, you definitely don't want firefish. They are horribly boring, IMO. I had 2 in a nano and hated them. They were great to take pics of because they NEVER moved but other than that they were dull. I eventually moved them into my 180, where they bored me in there too!

ha. i thought they were more active?

anyone have a suggestion for peaceful, ACTIVE eye catching and reef safe?

Have you looked into gobies at all? They are some beautiful gobies out there and you can even pair one with a pistol shrimp. You can also pair up gobies and have a pistol shrimp. They will hop around the bottom and you can get some fairly active ones. You might want to also look at the gold assesor basslets when ORA realeases them. They are not too active but do swim around upside down and are a very beautiful fish.

i have but not sure if they become aggressive or would cause problems with the later red scooter. i'm hoping to cover all areas of the tank. i was thinking a yasha goby

but would it be ok with too many that like being on the sandbed?