• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Stop RTN Dip

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if this works, but they say it does

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
rtn means they are gone instantly. Stn maybe. But snake oil already. Based on that simple fact

I believe there is another company that has an stn/rtn dip. It's not out in the us yet and i forget the name of the company that makes it. I believe its German made (Coild be completely off) it treats the bacterial biome of the coral to stop the tissue loss, it has some sort of antibiotic and a bacterial suppliment to help the coral stabilize. They say you treat it in the tank, you can put something around the coral like a soda bottle with the bottom cut off and you inject this solution into the water around the colony failing and let it sit around the coral like a cloud for a certain amount of time and I've read great success stories about it. Of course I cant find the articles and threads on it. but it is somewhere on r2r.

As for the one that was posted I'm pretty sure that company was selling snake oil...

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I dunno how any of these could work. I can trace most loss of sps in my reef to elevated phosphate levels in my reef, or something stinging it...

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Anything over 0 currently. I'm somehow generating enough that anything over zero and I grow film and hair algae like crazy. I understand how it works, and we only read what's not being utilized by the tank. Right now I'm using a brs reactor and it can't keep up. I can feed less, but then the fish will starve. When I started dosing nitrates, my phosphate uptake has been better, but still not good enough.

I just purchased a bashsea 6-12 media chamber to run GFO. I should be able to get much more GFO in there. I hope I can run 10-12 cups in there. I'll let you know, i am building a new manifold to support it and the two more tanks I want to stand up.

Dave

12 cups. WOW that seams like a lot of rust. My tank shows elevated iron on an icp test from just running 1.5 cups GFO. So I tried to increase my refugium size. With some success. Lowered my iron and my phosphates. I am just sharing my experience and bow to Dave’s greater wisdom.

It always amazes me how each tank can be so different. I run no gfo and my phosphates are 0.08 and nitrates are between 30 and 50 and none of my acros care.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
12 cups. WOW that seams like a lot of rust. My tank shows elevated iron on an icp test from just running 1.5 cups GFO. So I tried to increase my refugium size. With some success. Lowered my iron and my phosphates. I am just sharing my experience and bow to Dave’s greater wisdom.

I haven’t tried running any chaeto in a long time. It always turn brown, got covered in hair and slime algae, and melted away. Maybe it would be different now that I’m dosing nitrates. Maybe I’ll try spinning up that algae reactor that I still have.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Btw, how would elevated iron affect a reef? I’m changing 5 gallons of saltwater a day, I guess this would help that a little.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
So i think the big reactor maybe help with that (I don’t know if it’s an issue anyway). I found this on an r2r thread for what to do when your icp test comes back with high iron.

7F3E6502-CDE7-4B79-BFC7-4BEABA55C6F1.jpeg

Btw, how would elevated iron affect a reef? I’m changing 5 gallons of saltwater a day, I guess this would help that a little.
Elevated iron will cause green algae outbreaks and any yellow colors will turn green. Indose iron weekly to maintain my level. But inaccidentslly set it to daily for a few days before I noticed and was pretty high. My gha exploded, and my fox flames tips turned dark green. I've red this is exactly what happens when it gets high. Didnt help I was already fighting the gha.