• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

structural engineer/contractor in NJ?

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
hey all. so since we will be having a 200g in the house soon, I want to make sure that the floor I'm planning on placing it on is strong enough to support it. does anyone know, or is a structural engineer themselves? It would also be beneficial if that person has inspected houses for tank placement purposes. any and all help is appreciated. feel free to message or text me. thanks.

del

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
Not a structural engineer, but having set up a few systems I can tell you if the area you are looking at isn't on a slab then you're going to need to have it reinforced for that sized system. You'll be at roughly 1,700 lbs in DT water weight alone (+tank+rock+sump water...etc...). I'd definitely look at getting it reinforced.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
hey David. thanks for the advice. my wife and I spoke and we will be going a different route. basement it is !! but first we need to tile the basement. right now my 50g is in the basement, so gonna do some planning on moving that to the other room in basement, then tiling the main area where new tank will go. anyone do tiling for a living? hehehe.

Are you putting it in the basement because in the end it’s where you we see and enjoy it the most. Or because you are nervous about the weight on the main floor. If it is the ladder. I am not a structural engineer but have been in construction for nearly four decades. And would be happy to take a look and give my professional opinion. I’m free $$ and would be happy to let you know your options.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Are you putting it in the basement because in the end it’s where you we see and enjoy it the most. Or because you are nervous about the weight on the main floor. If it is the ladder. I am not a structural engineer but have been in construction for nearly four decades. And would be happy to take a look and give my professional opinion. I’m free $$ and would be happy to let you know your options.

hey sponge thanks for the offer. first, yes i will be creating a tank thread from start to finish. my wife even said do a whole youtube channel on it. as far as tank placement goes, our first floor is hardwood floors, so any spills/water damages would be costly. our main goal since we bought the house 2 years ago, was to make the basement a chill area/man cave. right now my current tank is there, a few reptiles, some gym equipment, a couch, TV, and a whole lot of liquor. i already spoke to my handyman who will be doing the tile installation. Its also perfect since my RO setup is in the basement. i can keep all equipment behind the wall in the next room, as well as keep my auto water change system going. Most likely once everything looks good and tank is setup and running, we will probably host one of the meetings. I spoke to ACC today and they said it will be a few weeks before tank is delivered. which is perfect since theres still a lot to do.

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
hey sponge thanks for the offer. first, yes i will be creating a tank thread from start to finish. my wife even said do a whole youtube channel on it. as far as tank placement goes, our first floor is hardwood floors, so any spills/water damages would be costly. our main goal since we bought the house 2 years ago, was to make the basement a chill area/man cave. right now my current tank is there, a few reptiles, some gym equipment, a couch, TV, and a whole lot of liquor. i already spoke to my handyman who will be doing the tile installation. Its also perfect since my RO setup is in the basement. i can keep all equipment behind the wall in the next room, as well as keep my auto water change system going. Most likely once everything looks good and tank is setup and running, we will probably host one of the meetings. I spoke to ACC today and they said it will be a few weeks before tank is delivered. which is perfect since theres still a lot to do.
I'll be the one to ask the stupid question...and since you have a couch down there I would assume the answer is yes. Is there a viable path to carry a 400-500lb aquarium down to your basement?

Awesome. Sounds fantastic. Really looking forward to the build. And super excited that a club member won. Truly wish you all the success in the world and look forward to coming to the meeting when you are ready.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I'll be the one to ask the stupid question...and since you have a couch down there I would assume the answer is yes. Is there a viable path to carry a 400-500lb aquarium down to your basement?

im going to be removing the banister and maybe even part of a wall to make sure the tank can fit through. i will probably make a replica out of cardboard fit to spec before we do the final move. its still surreal that we won. well she won.. but chances are ill be paying for everything inside that tank, so technically i can say WE now hahaha. weve been watching videos of the 750 all night on youtube. so many plans!!!!!!

Knocking down part of the wall is unreasonable.
You should think seriously about the repercussions.
Against my better judgement, and at great sacrifice to space in my study, I'm willing to take the tank off your hands.
Mark:
Such a selfless act. You are truly one of the rare ones. To think that you would give up all that space in your study WOW would you at least allow them to fill it with coral as a small token of their appreciation for your Nobel sacrifice

eholceker

NJRC Member
I don't think you need an engineer. If you know which way your floor joists run you will be okay. If the run perpendicular to the tank you will be fine. If they run parallel to the tank you will need to support underneath. Although the 750xxl seems big its honestly not that large where I would pay for an engineer to come out.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Knocking down part of the wall is unreasonable.
You should think seriously about the repercussions.
Against my better judgement, and at great sacrifice to space in my study, I'm willing to take the tank off your hands.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I don't think you need an engineer. If you know which way your floor joists run you will be okay. If the run perpendicular to the tank you will be fine. If they run parallel to the tank you will need to support underneath. Although the 750xxl seems big its honestly not that large where I would pay for an engineer to come out.
wife decided (since it really is HERS) that we cant risk a flood in the living room. so the basement will be the final home for this baby. working on quotes from some tiling people.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Why did it take so long to get the tank?
there were a few of 750s failing at the seams due to stand issues. they did a recall of all unsold tanks. then they re made the 750 with stronger glass and more support on the stand. I think they just started shipping in january. ACC told me ours should be here next week or so. red sea is shipping it direct from the warehouse. I will keep everyone posted once I hear anything. :) my wife has been asking me every week as well. she wants to order a new couch once the tank comes in hahahahaha

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
there were a few of 750s failing at the seams due to stand issues. they did a recall of all unsold tanks. then they re made the 750 with stronger glass and more support on the stand. I think they just started shipping in january. ACC told me ours should be here next week or so. red sea is shipping it direct from the warehouse. I will keep everyone posted once I hear anything. :) my wife has been asking me every week as well. she wants to order a new couch once the tank comes in hahahahaha

Perfect! A new couch to sit and view the new tank.