• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Stupid Float Switch, Made Me Look Bad

I have a floatswitch on my ReefGeek ATO controller that has stuck twice in the up position, leaving me with a nearly empty sump. How often do you have to clean these things, and is vinegar OK?

I'd replace the float switch.

It's stuck twice for you.

I also have never had to clean my float switches. However, it could be different in your reef, if your growing stuff like macro algae in your sump.

Hey Jim, could you describe me your water replenishment setup, and is the reefgeek ATO the same as the JBJ Autotopoff? I utilized my JBJ for something a little different and it works pretty good, never had it stick.... and I have a float valve as a redundancy backup too

First off, I had a D'OH moment when I realised that my Ca Reactor effluent had been discharging sometimes  over the float switch...
could have something to do with the sticking.
My setup is as follows: I have a 50G drum of RO water, an aqualifter pump, and one of those solenoid valves from autotopoff.com. When the level drops, the ATO goes on. I had it setup to run 12X per day via the aquacontroller, but right now it's on all the time.
I also have a bucket full of kalkwasser and a hospital pump which dispenses 300ml/hr of  kalkwasser to help keep the pH up. I have two float sitches, one turns on the kalk when the water level in the sump droms, the other is a failsafe which turns the water off if the level gets too high in the sump (due to the first solenoid sticking in the down position). I think the ReefGeek unit is similr to the JBJ unit  but I don't think it has the JBJ's maximum runtime feature.
When I get around to it, I am going to finish my kalk reactor (right now it leaks a bit) When that is done, my system will operate by siphoning water from my raised drum though the kalk reactor, and it's going to have two solenoids for extra security (and so the kalk reactor is not under pressure. The raised drum is better because it is connected to my RO unit and has a mechanical float switch to turn off the RO. That freaks me out a little because of the possibility that it could fail just right and run and run until my system is full of fresh water. I need to come up with something to make THAT a little safer. maybe a solenoid to only let the RO run an hour or two a day.

Then I will have achieved topoff nirvana!