• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Substrate and rock discussion

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
An option, but one that can be widely discussed.

This forum is for discussion involving substrate and rock.
Are you using substrate or going barebottom?
If using, what type? Stone, gravel, sand?
Any thoughts on rock?

Reply to this thread with all substrate and rock related questions, discussions, and links.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this a lot, my original thought on substrate was live sand bed how ever I'm predicting problems during cleaning aND water changes. So my next thought is crushed coral substrate, less messy easier to clean. Third option could be bare bottom but not so much as a full glass bottom but basically the live rock covers most of the bottom.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Crushed coral tends to hold on to detritus and other nasty and can lead to nitrate problems. Too fine a sand can be easily blown around in the tank and cause issues. Carib Sea Special Grade if you want sand

falconut

NJRC Member
I used a thin layer of Carib Sea Special Grade for my 180 with a combination of dry rock (reefcleaners) and live rock from my previous tank. The sand was the perfect grade and the dry rock was nice and porous. Very happy with my selection.

I used a thin layer of Carib Sea Special Grade for my 180 with a combination of dry rock (reefcleaners) and live rock from my previous tank. The sand was the perfect grade and the dry rock was nice and porous. Very happy with my selection.

+1 with the Carib Sea sand, I have the Special Grade Aragonite sand and I love it. I have about 1 1/2 inch sand bed in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I'm up in the air on BB or 1" of Special Grade.
I think I'm going to go with the SG.
I've run a few BB with great flow and there always seems to be glass melding diatoms that I can't get to to scrape off.
That being said...
Ive started tanks BB and always ended up adding sand due to diatom build up making the bottom look like garbage. When the tank is established I remove the sand and all is great.
I've also started sand bottom tanks, gone through the aging process (1+ year) and removed the sand to great results.
So, less mature tank BB will look bad for a while. A sand bottom you can stir it up or blow it out with a turkey baster.
Either will look good once tank is established (and with some care).

Agree with Hawk based on circumstantial. Though I haven't experienced it myself (all my scratches were made by my impatience) I've read a number of varying posts regarding black sand, most not great.