• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SUCCESS!

FINALLY got my Copperband butterfly to eat! Took him about 2 months to clear the tank of aptasia, then I started to worry. He hadn't gone after anything I put in the tank. But, finally, today, he took blackworms!

congratulations! after killing 2 of these beauties I am leaving that species to you, jimroth and other more qualified reefers.

I wouldn't say I'm a more qualified reefer! LOL! But thanks. He is a beautiful fish.

It got hairy for a couple weeks. The aptasia were nearly gone, and I wasn't sure what was going to happen.

I think he was just finally hungry enough that when the black worm dropped in front of him he decided to try it. Once he ate one, he chsed em like they were his mortal enemy! It was getting him to take the first one that was a royal pain.

I'm hoping now he'll try some of the rods food or fish eggs as well now that he has realized when I put stuff in the tank its food. But if not, I'll just make sure he gets black worms.

Updates: She/he's eaten 3 days in a row now. She/he even chased some of the rods food today and "tasted" it, but spit it out. She may have eaten some of it, but it looked like she was spitting it out. Put the worms in, and she ate like a pig. About a week of eaing, and I'll be comfortable moving her into the 90 gallon to "continue her work".

Couple pics (don't mind the "mess" in the tank, the back and sides are literally COVERED in coraline and theres some algae issues going on in there)

DSC05342_2.jpg

DSC05353_2.jpg

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well done! I have my Copperband butterfly in my reef tank now for about five years now.
Daniel

Come on...

buy the ones that already eating at the store. Ask them to show you it eats if they wont show you or it doesnt eat dont buy it and maybe even stop shopping there. They are responsible to sell you a fish that will eat readily available food. The last one I bought the store owner volunteered to show me it ate without asking. In fact they demonstrated 4 in different tanks that ate.

Henrye718 said:
Come on...

buy the ones that already eating at the store. Ask them to show you it eats if they wont show you or it doesnt eat dont buy it and maybe even stop shopping there. They are responsible to sell you a fish that will eat readily available food. The last one I bought the store owner volunteered to show me it ate without asking. In fact they demonstrated 4 in different tanks that ate.

Thanks for your input. It's fantastic you have such a stellar super star fish store that 4 CBBs eating. I don't. Next...