• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

suggestion on Submersible pump

I am looking for any suggestion on submersible pump. My MAG 12 pump is a little weak for my 180 gallon tank. Anyone know any submersible pump that equivalent or better than MAG 18? quietness is the key. I saw some pump called Supreme Hy-Drive Aquarium Pumps at liveaquaria.com but i am worry about the noise level of the pump.

Thanks
Olivier

I don't know it's hard to beat a mag for a submer pump. I'd just up the size or add a smaller mag to it. Then you'd have 2 pumps, it's nice when somethin happens to the one , no rush to fix it cause you still have the other one running

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Olivier said:
I saw some pump called Supreme Hy-Drive Aquarium Pumps at liveaquaria.com but i am worry about the noise level of the pump.

Thanks
Olivier

I ran one of these for almost a year. They are quiet. But. The motor burnt out right after the guarantee ran out.

thank you veryone in replying.
the Hy-Drive Aquarium Pumps has reliability issue.

I am also looking into the Reeflo pump but they are all external. I don't know if I want to drill my sump. What size of the hole, bulkhead and drill bit that i need? Can I use my cordless drill to drill?

I need to take my 75 gallon tank (sump) out of my stand and stand it up right to drill on its side. Can I drill it horizontally instead? I guest I need to spray water into the drill area more often.

in other hand, I can use 2 Mag 12 but that add heat and electric bill. energy consume of 2 mag 12 is about the same with Reeflo.

if I go with Reeflo pump, what pump would you recommend? Quiet is the key. They have the barracula, hammerhead, dart, GOLD what have you. which one is the quiet one?

You prob don't need 2- mag 12's prob just add like a mag 5 or 9.5. 2 mags will be quieter than 1 reeflo of any model, they are fan cooled and that makes them loud. As for drilling i would def go to glass-holes.com. You can get a bit and ask them you give you a template with it. You tape it on and it guides the bit to start the hole, also it will keep the bit in water just fill it up. A cordless is fine, go slow and put the chuck on the lightest setting if it's adjustable. You should put the tank on end though otherwise keeping the bit in water will be a pita. They have bulkheads too

With two pumps in the same return line, u end up with a substantial increase in head losses, so, just because it's two pums, it dosen't mean you will get twice the flow. You need an over sized line, to minimize the loss, but you still have one pushing against the other. Better off with one pump or two return lines (1 per pump).

BobnKate said:
With two pumps in the same return line, u end up with a substantial increase in head losses, so, just because it's two pums, it dosen't mean you will get twice the flow. You need an over sized line, to minimize the loss, but you still have one pushing against the other. Better off with one pump or two return lines (1 per pump).
thank you for verifying this. I now know what to do with two return lines
Olivier

Oliver on a 180 you should have 2 seperate return lines, 1 in each overflow. Assuming it's a normal tank. Just put a pump on each return. If you don't like the idea of using 2 then just get the mag 18. I just know from experience that it would of been nice to have a second pump on my old tank when my circ pump burnt out years ago. It would of been way less of a headache and wouldn't of been such a rush to change it. Sometime it's hard to find a lfs with the pump you need, and next day air is expensive ;D

Or you could have 2 or more return lines for one pump..... but I do like the idea of having one pump for each return line (Nickjr000). When one goes out (and it will), you don't need to rush. I always keep some kind of spare.

so 2 mag18 on two return lines? Electric bill of 2 mag18 is about the same as one reeflo heh. Just quiet is important :). why are they not making the mag36 ????? I am thinking of 1 mag18 and 1 mag24 to give me enough of water turn over.

Nickjr000 said:
Wow thats a lot of flow, What size are your bulkhead drains?
Nick,
My drain line is 1".  I believed it is a standard holes size on the 180gallon AGA tank. Mag24 is 2400 gallon and mag18 is 1800 gallon at head pressure equal to 0. My setup require 6 feet head pressure with measurement direct line from sump to top rim of the tank without bent and union, elbows. after all of those bents, elbow, and 6 feet high, the flow of mag18 will drop down to like 1200 gph or so if i am lucky. so not a lot of flow.

I remember CAMZ28 (Ralph) has a Reeflo Barrucula or Hammerhead pump in his display tank. It is so quiet. i do'nt know every pump is like that from reeflo or just a lucky unit

I have a reeflo blackwater and a tarpoon, They aren't real loud but a lot louder than a submerged mag. THe thing I don't like about external pumps, is when my reeflo's seal went bad and i had about 30 gallons of water all over my floor. If I had a mag like my old tank this would of never happened. That's another bonus with them. Oliver whenever you want you can come over and check out my set up. You can hear the pump for yourself. I know I told you this before but I went on vacation then kinda forgot. Let me know

Nick
thank you for helping. I defenitely would like to check out those pumps.
Why is it 30 gallons of water on your floor? is it overflow from your DT or from the pump leak? does the seal go bad that often? why the seal goes bad? they should come up with a ceramic seal for this.

I don't know it was brand new. Plumbed everything and had my sump full. Pumped the water into the tank and after prob 500 gallons through the pump the shaft seal went and I had water all over the place. Being it was the shaft seal all the water the pump can pump out of my sump and all my drain down water came out the seal of the pump and on to the floor. I called reeflo and i was dissapointed. All their advertising about sending you a new replacement pump if you have any problems , and they sent me a seal instead. Took everything apart then realized they didn't give me a new gasket. There was no way to re use the old one it was shredded. After calling them back they did send me a new pump and I actually requested a different model and got it. I thank them for that very nice of them. The whole process took about a week so it wasn't too bad. And i don't know why the seals go bad. When I asked the tec on the phone he said they can last a day or 5 years , really no way to tell.