• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Suggestions for (idiot proof) RODI container

Hi guys,

I told the wife that if come up with a good way to avoid leaving the RO running, and flooding the laundry room (for the umpteenth time) looking for a solution that's comparable in capacity to a 5 gallon jug, which is what I'm using now. What are your thoughts?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Float switches work well but may be tough with a 5g bucket. This is a bit pricey but should be able to use a 5g bucket with a lid easily.

Barrel Tender V2

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So I will admit it hard at times but what I do is I set a timer cause I have not been able to setup a float switch yet due to no permit installation.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I ended up using a solenoid connected to my apex. It opens and closes based on optical sensor in the container. Basically the opticals sensor opens, then tells the solenoid to open. The house pressure is then felt by the booster pump. The booster pump flushes the RO membrane, then proceeds to fill the container. When the optical sensor closes, it tells the solenoid to close. When the booster sensor senses the flow stop, it shuts down and waits. As a back up, i have a float switch in the container. The booster pump will also shut down if the pressure builds up because of the float switch blocking flow.

I'm looking for a pic now.

Found the pics

B52686BF-D0DB-44A5-98CD-6A25D2878091.jpeg 55D117DC-C848-4142-A80D-B6BFA3598B7D.jpeg

Dave

Last edited:

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I use a basic physical float valve with my 32gallon brute. I’ve actually got an extra if you want it. Has never failed on me in 2.5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I ended up using a solenoid connected to my apex. It opens and closes based on optical sensor in the container. Basically the opticals sensor opens, then tells the solenoid to open. The house pressure is then felt by the booster pump. The booster pump flushes the RO membrane, then proceeds to fill the container. When the optical sensor closes, it tells the solenoid to close. When the booster sensor senses the flow stop, it shuts down and waits. As a back up, i have a float switch in the container. The booster pump will also shut down if the pressure builds up because of the float switch blocking flow.

I'm looking for a pic now.

Found the pics

View attachment 18586 View attachment 18587

Dave

mind me asking where you got your water containers?

DangerDave

NJRC Member
@iTzJu I got them from ruralking.com. They are available from a few places, but ruralking did free shipping. The shipping from most other sites was more than the containers.

They are this unit...
Ace Roto Mold Rectangle Utility Tank SP0055-MM

Just an fyi, they are slow to deliver. It took 3 weeks to get mine.

Dave

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
@iTzJu I got them from ruralking.com. They are available from a few places, but ruralking did free shipping. The shipping from most other sites was more than the containers.

They are this unit...
Ace Roto Mold Rectangle Utility Tank SP0055-MM

Just an fyi, they are slow to deliver. It took 3 weeks to get mine.

Dave

Awesome! thanks, been looking for storage containers like that for awhile now but like you said, shipping kills the deal! I've been waiting years for a decent deal, I can wait 3 weeks. lol

EDIT:
I ordered 2 of 40 Gallon models for $76 each shipped. what a freaking deal. I can finally use my brute cans for other things!

Last edited: