• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

sump/refugium design

so im trying to design a sump/refugium. wondering if anyone has any ideas. i'll start with my last one. it was just a 60 long i built with refugium on one end and skimmer on the other end. chamber next to refugium the was return and chamber between skimmer and return was just bricks. drain was in the skimmer chamber and i just rigged a pump from bricks to refugium.

i felt like this sump was just way too huge and i didnt like the refugium pouring into the return, i also didnt use any mechanical and so it was just a big mess everywhere that i had to give a good cleaning to at least once a month. i had my bricks wrapped in multiple large fine mesh laundry bags so they never clogged.

i wanted to design something different for my new set up. ive got this 55 long that i can use for the sump but i really dont want to have an all in one unit again, want to try high flow refugium and low flow sump or high flow sump with low flow zones in the sump,. im thinking of using a 20 long for skimmer, bricks, and return. im hoping to use a 10 gallon as a separate refugium, but i dont want to drill them together. my plan is to build a shelf so the 10 sits higher than the 20 and somehow using the property of gravity/pressure to get the water to flow into the 20. maybe like a special shelf i can build on the rim of the 10 (internal or external).

i'd like to have some accessible mechanical to keep things neat this time. ive seen vertically stacked mesh pads that look interesting. i know the rage is socks

if it matters, the tank is a 210 w dual weirs. i was planning on using all 4 holes for drains and returns over the rear,