• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sump vs. Box Filters?

I am getting ready to set up a 90g that a friend gave me. The tank has a box filter on the back that is driven by a pump, which also runs the skimmer. I think he always called this a systems tank but dont remember. My question is since the tank is not drilled should I keep the box and pump or go with a external overflow w/sump? What r the pros and cons?? Any advice would be greatly helpful!!!! Thanks P.S. the box is not a normal filter like your normal aquaclear just for clarifacation.

what is a box filter? you mean a canister filter? if it is a canister they tend to be nitrate sinks unless cleaned constantly.

a sump will add more water volume and offer a place to put equipment like a heater or skimmer

nah not a canister...its an acrylic box on the back of the tank with different compartments....like a mini sump....real mini...driven by a pump

I think your talkin about a hang on fuge kind of like a cpr unit .Is it like this .
p-32875-42452-fish-filter.jpg
??

Expensive piece of equiptment . I took the pic from drsfostersmith . Its built by CPR . Dont know much about it but now you can research it . It looks all in one and may actually work . It has your fuge already and a skimmer . Dont know how good the skimmer is but try it out ,if it pulls good skimate let it be and just monitor your water perams to make sure its enough filtration for your stocking needs . You might want to add a phose reactor also .

That is not a bad piece of equipment to have around. You can run that and the overflow if you have the space. Can use it to hold livestock so it doesn't get disturbed etc. I was thinking about buying one of those but price is a bit high for what it is. I might as well just set up another system.

My first choice would be to drill the tank and install overflows, and use a sump.

My second would be to use a Lifereef external overflow and a sump.

I consider small filtration systems like the one by CPR to be too small for a 90gal tank. In addition my experience with CPR products has been so bad that I'd be hard pressed to every use any CPR products again.

Yes, Lifereef overflows cost about twice as much as the "famous brand" overflows sold by the major online stores, and many LFSs.

However, it's well worth the extra cost. They do not tend to accumulate air in the siphons and don't requit another small pump to keep the siphon purged of air. This goes a long way toward preventing floods.

When buying equipment, I highly recommend that you always get top quality. It's going to cost more up front, but it will last. It's going to save you money, time, and effort, long term.

Your right, I shouldnt go cheap on equipment...it will be worth it in the long run....besides, with my luck...the cheaper one will cause a flood!

Thanks!

Just my 2 cents worth I have the same fuge made by CPR, purchased used from a fellow njreefer "ynotme", i believe I paid $60 for it used. Works well I set it up w/Mineral Mud,LR, and Chaeto. I have controled my red slime hair algae that used to form on my sand and LR. Good luck with your set-up.

A sump saggysac a sump. Room for equipment and mods is uncomparable. Those hang on filters are for small setups. Antiquated as you would say... Tahut