• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Surf Fishing

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Not sure how many surf casters we have on here but I thought with fish starting to show up I would start a thread. Show off your catches and maybe what you caught it on and a general location if you want.
I'll start. Went out last night after work on the incoming tide. Fished both clam and bunker. Nothing touched the clam but the fresh bunker worked great. Fished the north end of brigantine for a few hours. Landed a few small blues, a big 32" blue, and 2 schoolie stripers.
Here's the big blue
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430834503.461604.jpg
And 1 of the stripers
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430834523.092665.jpg

Hoping to get back out there tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
It's also worth noting all fish were caught fairly close to shore on my smaller rod. Had a decent hit farther out on my bigger rod but no fish.

Very good idea, I also go surf fishing but have not gone this year yet, the biggest Stripers and Blues I've ever cough was second week of May at Sandy Hook Beach with clams.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Thanks guys. I've been slacking when it comes to fishing the last 2 years. Hoping to get a lot in this year.

I just bought a boat. I'm trying my best to find some places to go do some fishing ! any ideas? Maybe I should start a thread.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Tis the season. Anyone head out yet? Getting the rods together.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't think you have enough rods there. I'd love to be able to get out and fish more, especially for bigger fish. All i've been able to do in the past years was small bass fishing due to time, and not knowing where to fish from the shore. Biggest thing in the last few years was probably 2lbs. i'd love to do some saltwater this year.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I don't think you have enough rods there. I'd love to be able to get out and fish more, especially for bigger fish. All i've been able to do in the past years was small bass fishing due to time, and not knowing where to fish from the shore. Biggest thing in the last few years was probably 2lbs. i'd love to do some saltwater this year.
Haha!!! I think I could use a few more

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I'd like to go for stripers. I always see these massively long rods. I have a rod I use off a boat, but it's is not nearly that long.
The idea behind the long rod is to get your bait over the breakers. At times this is great but I will say I have caught most fish in waist to knee deep water

Depends on what you're going for. If stripers I would say a decent rod and reel that can handle 4oz and bait.
+1 to what Kevin said.
I'd like to go for stripers. I always see these massively long rods. I have a rod I use off a boat, but it's is not nearly that long.
I would say the smaller rod for stripers surf fishing you can use is 8 foot long.

Sent from my LGLS751 using Tapatalk

great thread!~ my daughter and i just cleaned our rods on weds, we're set for trying for stripers next week since they're on spring break!
i'll post pics if we catch anything

Ill be chasing stripers on the Delaware River for the next few weeks. I'm getting my kayak and gear ready this weekend.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk