• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Switching out a tank??

So I wanna switch out my 55gal setup for my 65gal setup I’m currently working on. When time comes I’m not sure of protocol
Do I use water from 55
When moving rocks to new tank I want to secure all the rocks together this time,, problem is I’m not sure how I want it to look,, I have a lot of inverts (CUC) several shrimp that live in rocks along with hermits n such and I don’t want to harm any. What should I do about that.will they be ok, and hide in rock till back in new tank??
Totally lost on how to go about

I would used 30 gallons of old water and 35 gallons of new water,put your rock in and set it like you want it, then your sand and water. Cuc would be last with livestock.

my biggest problem with tank swaps has always been moving the rocks. for sure you want to be extra careful when picking up any rock. my purple tang was hiding in a rock and he sustained a fatal injury because of the way I placed the rock in the new tank. I've experienced a wrasse also hiding in rock twice, second time I got lucky and just saw him swimming around in the new tank and I was like wtf. so good idea to have your water pre mixed outside of the tank as mixing in the new tank can hurt a bunch of things. during another tank move, I accidently dropped a rock on top of my tomini. he really was a stupid fish the way he was hiding. it was like an arrow through the heart for me with him going out like that. it's one thing if a fish died on me but another completely if I killed him.

also I like to use a DIY polishing filter because a tank move will stir up a lot of dust and such. just place it very low and it works like a charm to clear the water. takes a little time but you don't want to rush a tank move cause something bad can happen when you're rushing. remember to move your heaters below the waterline too.

is the tank going to sit in the same place? cause that is definitely harder to do. you'll have to move everything to a temporary place, completely breakdown your tank and start then. that allows just double the amount of POF. points of failure.

the polishing filter is just a pump I bought at Petco, really any medium sized pump or larger will do. get a bottle and drill a hole large enough for the suction side of the pump. just stick some filter floss, in it. I get filter floss at Walmart.

I would definitely shake every rock very well turn them upside down wiggle them. I mean I'm not sure what you have in the tank. I guess not that much to worry about if it's all seahorses living on a pole or something. but watch those fish, they can be hiding just anywhere. hopefully you can get someone to help out. just a pair of eyes will be super helpful.

are you sure you want to do 65? maybe you should wait and go bigger? a lot 75rr tanks pop up or maybe a 120 if you can swing the room. I'd say try to go bigger now rather than later. cause it's a lot of stress on the tank and extra work later. It'll definitely be worth it even if you have to wait a little. I had a 150 sitting in my front room for about a year, wanted to upgrade from my 75 and right as I was setting it up - I had everything for it even the overflow box, thing of beauty. the 210 you popped up. a friend saw it on Facebook and let me know. picked it up that same day. it was a steal. a lot of tanks come up in the warmer months since people are moving.

anyway a couple of pictures of the polishing filter. sometimes I use it to skim as well that's why I have the v cuts on top.

15880716875363997232348447633637.jpg
15880717257359175305096591783576.jpg
15880718181647146242053015364993.jpg
15880718303077686789419282264485.jpg
15880718626237754762915358338528.jpg